Medication reduced

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I had an appointment today with DN, she thinks along with my Gliclazide 80mg once a day I am managing my diabetes too well - ok, so she has halved the Meds to 40mg as also a bit concerned about the couple of hypos I have had in the same week. She thinks that as I have been testing below 5 mmol before dinner that is too low. Also had a HbA1c test a couple of days ago and that came back as 60, DN said it was a false test as two months ago I tested at 78 so need to have another at end of June. When I was first tested I had sinusitis and costochondritis so that won't have helped only added to levels. So really I am pleased my meds have reduced and myHbA1c is going in the right direction

Reactions: Kathy0063

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Hammer1964
"Managing your diabetes too well" .. well, now I've heard it all :mad::mad:
I have posted several times on the NHS diabetes treatment regime but this one really does take the biscuit .. the NICE recommended BG levels before meals are 4 to 7 mmol/l .. so this simply beggars belief

Obviously, I can't comment on the meds dosage .. but, if it was me, I would be asking for a second opinion or at least some clarification from another Doctor and DN on the BG levels and HbA1c issues

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Hammer1964
"Managing your diabetes too well" .. well, now I've heard it all :mad::mad:
I have posted several times on the NHS diabetes treatment regime but this one really does take the biscuit .. the NICE recommended BG levels before meals are 4 to 7 mmol/l .. so this simply beggars belief

Obviously, I can't comment on the meds dosage .. but, if it was me, I would be asking for a second opinion or at least some clarification from another Doctor and DN on the BG levels and HbA1c issues

AM1874 the DN said if after an evening meal when I tested my levels were under 10 she would be happy. I would not be and will be aiming for under 7.5. Unfortunately when I saw my doctor just over a week ago he was not interested in my testing and suggested I put my meter away in a safe place and forget about it and start living life!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Keep doing whatever you are doing, it is working for you when everything in your DN's experience is the opposite from the advice she has been told to give. At least she recognised that it was time to halve your medication as you having hypos. Go along for the next test and show both the DN and your Dr that you have found something that works. If they are professionals interested in continuing learning, which all professionals should do, they will want to know what you are doing to get these results. If they are not interested it tells you a lot. What you chose to do then is up to you.

Reactions: Hammer1964

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
AM1874 the DN said if after an evening meal when I tested my levels were under 10 she would be happy. I would not be and will be aiming for under 7.5. Unfortunately when I saw my doctor just over a week ago he was not interested in my testing and suggested I put my meter away in a safe place and forget about it and start living life!
Sometimes I wonder whether our HCP's live in the same century that we do.. Why someone with presumed medical training would think that a level of 10 is ok astounds me.. still I guess if they believe what they preach about progressive disease and medication getting stronger and eating carbs at every meal then I guess 10 would be miraculous.. Their myth is self perpetuating but sad for those who comply with such advice.

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Hammer1964 ..
I have had some less than ideal encounters with Doc and Nursie since I was diagnosed and I agree 100% with what @Phoenix55 says above. For these situations, I keep a simple little mantra in the back of my mind ..

# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore

In your case, though, I would apply this and then, as I have suggested, ask for a second opinion or at least some clarification from another Doctor and/or DN. While this may seem tricky and/or confrontational, it can be done .. see: A Good Day

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Also had a HbA1c test a couple of days ago and that came back as 60, DN said it was a false test as two months ago I tested at 78 so need to have another at end of June.

I wonder how DN can be so positive? Well done though, it's in the right direction. Hopefully the test at the end of June will confirm the trend. Keep doing what you're doing.

I am managing my diabetes too well

I'll have to remember that one. Maybe we're interpreting that statement too literally. LOL

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gliclazide can result in hypos if you eat low carb. If so, reduce or stop taking it as it is not needed. After a few weeks of a low carb diet you should get your fasting blood glucose below 7. You should be aiming for no more than 8.5 two hours after a meal.

At diagnosis my HbA1C was 99 and four months later it had dropped to 59, mostly due to eating less carbohydrates. I went down from taking two to one 500mg Metformin per day and three months later my HbA1C went down further to 44 as I cut out even more carbs. I then stopped taking Metformin.

Most people with type 2 can get their HbA1C down to non diabetic levels (below 42) within nine months on a LCHF diet, and even quicker if they also do intermittent fasting. Once you get your blood sugars under control the need for medications reduces. Get a blood glucose meter to check your progress.

Last edited:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
She thinks that as I have been testing below 5 mmol before dinner that is too low.

I wonder, if below 4 is considered to be hypo, she might be worried that you're heading that way and missing a meal could result in a hypo. It does show how your body is coping after the previous meal and, as in this case, might indicate too much Gliclazide.

When I cut the carbs my BG plummeted within days of the new regime and it was immediately obvious that I was taking too much Gliclazide and I stopped, with GP's say so.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Hammer1964 ..
I have had some less than ideal encounters with Doc and Nursie since I was diagnosed and I agree 100% with what @Phoenix55 says above. For these situations, I keep a simple little mantra in the back of my mind ..

# Listen
# Nod
# Smile and say thankyou
# Ignore

In your case, though, I would apply this and then, as I have suggested, ask for a second opinion or at least some clarification from another Doctor and/or DN. While this may seem tricky and/or confrontational, it can be done .. see: A Good Day

Haha AM1874 I done exactly the same thing yesterday, the only part I was in agreement with was lowering the meds.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gliclazide can result in hypos if you eat low carb. If so, reduce or stop taking it as it is not needed. After a few weeks of a low carb diet you should get your fasting blood glucose below 7. You should be aiming for no more than 8.5 two hours after a meal.

At diagnosis my HbA1C was 99 and four months later it had dropped to 59, mostly due to eating less carbohydrates. I went down from taking two to one 500mg Metformin per day and three months later my HbA1C went down further to 44 as I cut out even more carbs. I then stopped taking Metformin.

Most people with type 2 can get their HbA1C down to non diabetic levels (below 42) within nine months on a LCHF diet, and even quicker if they also do intermittent fasting. Once you get your blood sugars under control the need for medications reduces. Get a blood glucose meter to check your progress.

Art Of Flowers, yes I have a meter given to me by the same DN, I am eating low carb and stick to no more than 100gm a day and most days less, aim to cut out more so in time I can come off meds.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wonder, if below 4 is considered to be hypo, she might be worried that you're heading that way and missing a meal could result in a hypo. It does show how your body is coping after the previous meal and, as in this case, might indicate too much Gliclazide.

When I cut the carbs my BG plummeted within days of the new regime and it was immediately obvious that I was taking too much Gliclazide and I stopped, with GP's say so.
Two years ago I was on 4 x 80mg Gliclazide and 4 x 500 mg Metformin, and on Actos briefly. My daily average bgl was running at around 15 mmol/l and I was being referred to DCE for insulin training. I decided - beggar that for a game of monkeys, and started LCHF diet immediately. Since then I have reduced my bgl dramatically, and almost eliminated all my diabetes meds. Two days ago my GP reviewed my progress, and made it clear he wanted me to drop my Glic completely since it canes the pancreas and is not good news long term. But my results log show that I will probably still need some, and we compromised to 1 x 40mg Glic, and halving my Metformin. My HbA1c is 43 now, and my GP's closing statement is that I am the only T2D in his books that has consistently managed to control my bgl, and whatever ot is I am doing, then continue doing it. He still supports my test strips on scrip, but is unable to officially recommend LCHF due to NHS Eatwell#2 rule.

So, well done in reducing your meds too. LCHF is a lifestyle change, not a diet, but I have done it for over 2 years now, and still not bored with it. It works for me. And I must add, my family, who share my mealplans with me,

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

DavidGrahamJones I had 2 episodes where my BG was 3.6 and 3.7 in the same week and I did feel odd, I am low carb, so I am happy my meds were reduced. I have been really diligent in eating my meals at the same time so knew it was not that, hopefully in a few months I will also be able to stop the meds.