Type 2 Medication

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Karoline, I've come over from another post, but thought it better to answer you here than there about how quickly your figures are falling.

I was diagnosed with HbA1c at 129.5 early-December, the first 3 weeks I was on insulin and 1 metformin and my levels dropped from high teens and 20s to high single figures after about 5 days of basically being too scared to eat, I was swinging between 4 and 10 for another couple of weeks until I stopped the insulin, and consciously went lower carb (<150g/day at first but more like <100g/day after a week or so), got out to exercise daily and upping my Metformin weekly to the 2g max. Pretty much testing at 4.5-6.5 ever since.

I would put my quick reduction down to not eating and that's not to be advised, especially as my eyesight went completely with the quick drop, (all OK now thank goodness!), but it was all too much over Christmas for me to cope with. Today I got a 7.3 reading 2hrs after going to Pizza Express, my first meal and day out since diagnosis, so although it's the first over 7 since NYE and freaked me slightly, it fell back to 5.5 by teatime, so not beating myself up (too much), I had a lovely time.

You have to go at your own maintainable pace, and depending on how you deal with things - I am an all or nothing, obsessive paranoid control freak, not a good match with diabetes:arghh:. I do believe my lifestyle changes have been responsible for my reduction not particularly the Metformin, from my reading it probably can't make that much difference - but happy to be told otherwise.

If your diabetes team are happy with your figures, and you are heading in the right direction already, I'd say that's great, and to paraphrase the great and the good here - it's not a sprint but a marathon and everyone is different :)