Meds

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi im on 4x metformin 1xlinagliptin. The doctors also tried dapaflozin but i was really ill on it. They then changed it to gliclazide in which is also making me feel rough. The doctor is talking about trying another tablet does anybody know what this would be please.

D

Deleted member 308541

The doctor is talking about trying another tablet does anybody know what this would be please.
Sorry mate, but my crystal ball is playing up today.

You are better off asking the GP again, rather than asking people on a forum to guess what it may be. :D

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi im on 4x metformin 1xlinagliptin. The doctors also tried dapaflozin but i was really ill on it. They then changed it to gliclazide in which is also making me feel rough. The doctor is talking about trying another tablet does anybody know what this would be please.

No idea on the tablet, sorry. I manage to control so far on diet alone. Have you changed the way you eat at all? It could help you enormously :)

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most effective way of reducing high blood glucose levels is via a Low Carb High Fat diet. This reduces the need to take a lot of medication. Unfortunately, pills alone wont fix the high blood sugar problem, you need to stop eating foods which spike your blood sugar.

Reactions: Knighthawk22

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have tried altering the food i eat when i spoke to my nurse.as we have to be very carefull what i eat due to my training because i am back on tour in 3 weeks with my sport. And it still has not made any difference. Im just fed up with nothing working and i am having to force myself to train at the minute due to feeling rubbish at the minute.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have tried altering the food i eat when i spoke to my nurse.as we have to be very carefull what i eat due to my training because i am back on tour in 3 weeks with my sport. And it still has not made any difference. Im just fed up with nothing working and i am having to force myself to train at the minute due to feeling rubbish at the minute.
So you eat fairly high carb diet? Looking at some of your other posts it would seem this is the case..

Have you though of trying to lower your carb content to help control your Type 2?
A whole lot of us have found that this helps enormously.
What sport is it that you do?

Reactions: dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you eat fairly high carb diet? Looking at some of your other posts it would seem this is the case..

Have you though of trying to lower your carb content to help control your Type 2?
A whole lot of us have found that this helps enormously.
What sport is it that you do?
It is possible for some sportsmen to convert from running on carbs to burning fat (ketosis). It takes a few weeks to prepare the body to get used to ketosis. There are a couple of Films on this. One is called Cereal Killers. The other is called Run on Fat where an endurance triathlete Sami Inkinen and his wife rowed from California to Hawaii in record time purely on a diet of fat and protein with no carbs. They did the equivalent of two marathons a day. In the Cereal Killers film there is discussions with the Australian Cricket coach about the benefits of a LCHF diet which has been adopted by several of the players.
See http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/05/14/cereal-killers-2.aspx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The sport i play is squash and racketball

I think you should try a low carb diet and see how you get on..you will almost certainly get better blood glucose control which may in turn lead to less medication being required. As always though its up to you ..
Personally I prefer to try to stay medication free for as long as I can.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what you have said on other threads it looks like you are eating the wrong types of food for diabetes. Lots of carbs such as chips, baked potatoes, pasta, porridge, sandwiches etc. These are likely to raise your blood sugars to astronomical levels. No amount of medication is going to fix this and you may start to get some serious complications from high blood sugar such as nerve damage and organ damage.
What is considered to be a "healthy diet" turns out to be highly toxic for people with diabetes. So what can you eat? You have to eat much less carbs and more foods containing fat. They you need to train your body to burn fat in a process called ketosis rather than glycogen from carbs.
This is the first 6 minutes of the film Run on Fat. The full version is able to watch on dietdoctor.com

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some bodybuilders have gone into ketosis too. Its becoming more and more popular.
I would seriously go along reducing carbs and increasing fat. Protein acts like carbs in excess so be aware! Obviously you don't want to lose weight if it means losing strength and stamina. I didn't agree with lchf so I do low carb and not low fat. I ate too much protein which gave my high bgs just like carbs.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Have you actually tried eating a low carb with increased fat way of eating? I'd be very surprised if it made NO difference.

Some people can't or don't want to do it - which is a totally different thing. But if you cut right back hard on carbs your blood sugars are bound to go down because it is carbs that put them up.

jacko3469

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As before I have tried alsorts there is a lot of food I can not have due to other problems

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
As before I have tried alsorts there is a lot of food I can not have due to other problems
Did you say you have tested after the foods your currently eating?
Look metformin works, for me and lower carb and not low fat seems to like my mixed insulin regular shots. Lower bgs are reducing my large obese body weight. I know metformin is behind most of it.
If you stopped metformin what would you replace it with to reduce your bgs? Liver blocks can help a little and fasting can block insulin resistance getting worse.
Maybe try additional exercise instead of metformin?
I get your weight isn't a problem but what you can eat is. A few other type2s have a similiar problem.
Maybe you could private message them if you don't want to disclose here?
Loads of different diabetics on the forums. I'll tag @donnellysdogs to see if she can advise more on alternatives to low carb with digestive problems and not wanting to lose weight.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a lot of us control our diabetes with diet that is what most of our advice will be based on. If there are certain foods you can't eat then let us know what they are (unless they are things you just don't like) otherwise we can't really help. Asking advice and giving only half the picture doesn't help us to help you. Which ways of eating have you tried before?