Medtronic 640G and Libre

Kamilosxdman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello. I'm going to start my 640G next month. It will be my first pump ever and I'm very excited. I've been self-funding freestyle libre for about 11 months now and I was wondering if anyone has experience in using libre and 640g or any other pump ? Any tips, advice would be very useful. Also I'm considering switching to enlite sensors in the future to use safeguard feature. ( can't do it with the pump next month as Medtronic has some production difficulties and they don't accept new customer until new year apparently) So I will be using libre with 640g and libre and I want some views and suggestions. Thanks

eabhamurphy

Hi there! I use the 640g and a libre. I've self funded the libre for years now (maybe 3 or 4!) I've kept it going while using the 640g. I don't use the libre results to input for any bolus doses but it does help with identify trends and basal settings and also helps with knowing if my ratios are right etc.
The enlite I will qualify for pregnancy if I have another child so I will hold off self funding that until after my next pregnancy if I decide it's worth carrying on with as it's twice the price of the libre.
Its so much easier to get nice flat-ish profile and I have much more energy. I feels the link up with the enlite will really benefit me if I have another pregnancy as my hypo awareness and blood sugars were all over the place! Now I find it ok, I've got pretty good readings, eat similar amounts each day do the added benefit of the enlite isn't currently there for me to justify the cost! I will keep the libre going though. Having said that, my sugars are so so much more stable now that whereas pre pump going without a libre was inconceivable for me, I would now be ok with it if I had to be.
I'm not sure I've given much useful info but do ask me anything you want to know. I just got my pump on June 15th! It is super exciting! I remember it like a birthday date!
Eva

Sent from my Pixel using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Kamilosxdman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks. I probably won't use reading from libre too. Even now, I do actual blood test before meals ( well usually). In terms of places on your body ; where do you place your sensors and pump? ( I hope you don't mind me asking ). Also is that true that pump will stop your delivery if its not in the right angle ( like upside down) . Also is there a way to input data with the trend so like 6.3 but heading downwards and likely to go down further ? Or would you just manually adjust your dose based on arrows and trends on libre. I hope this makes sense. Thanks

eabhamurphy

So I've not had any issues with. Have it on a HidIn body band just above my waist most of the time or clipped on to my waistband or sometimes I have it looped through into my pocket (depending on how I can alter the clothing) I'm sure it's upside down and all sorts of crazy ways throughout the 23hr40mins I wear it for each day!
With regards to the trend and adjusting dose. In short, no there is no way for the pump to know that you are, for example, 5.5 but going downwards quickly. I personally find though that if I am going low a very small amount of carbs (8g) will level me out quickly. I don't have the same hard to treat hypo or hyper as before. If I do have a hypo it's generally because I've overestimated carb content or not temporarily reduced basal sufficiently for exercise and then the next time I adjust accordingly and can avoid more and more of these situations.
You can have different basal rates for different types of days (work versus day off etc etc) and that's a feature I love. When I work I probably take 20k steps and am running around all day, then sometimes at home all day I need 20% more basal due to reduced activity. All things you learn about your requirements.
What insulins are you currently using?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks. I probably won't use reading from libre too. Even now, I do actual blood test before meals ( well usually). In terms of places on your body ; where do you place your sensors and pump? ( I hope you don't mind me asking ). Also is that true that pump will stop your delivery if its not in the right angle ( like upside down) . Also is there a way to input data with the trend so like 6.3 but heading downwards and likely to go down further ? Or would you just manually adjust your dose based on arrows and trends on libre. I hope this makes sense. Thanks
The pump doesn't care which way up you put it. It works in pretty much all directions.

It has the capability to predict that you will go low in the next 30 mins and suspend insulin, but to use that you need to use the Medtronic Enlites and Transmitter for CGM. It doesn't work with blood glucose pricks or Libre.

Kamilosxdman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So I've not had any issues with. Have it on a HidIn body band just above my waist most of the time or clipped on to my waistband or sometimes I have it looped through into my pocket (depending on how I can alter the clothing) I'm sure it's upside down and all sorts of crazy ways throughout the 23hr40mins I wear it for each day!
With regards to the trend and adjusting dose. In short, no there is no way for the pump to know that you are, for example, 5.5 but going downwards quickly. I personally find though that if I am going low a very small amount of carbs (8g) will level me out quickly. I don't have the same hard to treat hypo or hyper as before. If I do have a hypo it's generally because I've overestimated carb content or not temporarily reduced basal sufficiently for exercise and then the next time I adjust accordingly and can avoid more and more of these situations.
You can have different basal rates for different types of days (work versus day off etc etc) and that's a feature I love. When I work I probably take 20k steps and am running around all day, then sometimes at home all day I need 20% more basal due to reduced activity. All things you learn about your requirements.
What insulins are you currently using?

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently on Novorapid as my quick acting and Levemir as my background twice a day

Kamilosxdman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The pump doesn't care which way up you put it. It works in pretty much all directions.

It has the capability to predict that you will go low in the next 30 mins and suspend insulin, but to use that you need to use the Medtronic Enlites and Transmitter for CGM. It doesn't work with blood glucose pricks or Libre.
Thanks. I think I'm going to switch to those enlite sensors and see if I can afford it and how long each sensor lasts etc. I spoke to Medtronic rep today and she told me that they have global supply crisis and they wont accept new customers for those sensors until October ( or new year). She said that they only capable of producing sensor for current CGM users. So I'm going to stay on libre for about 2 months while using the 640G. I think that's going to be interesting to see if I actually need SMARTGUARD tech as I suppose number of hypos will drop just by being on the pump.