Medtronic 670g Being Released in Australia

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I received an email inviting me to register. If it’s almost available in Australia, it won’t be far off in the UK.

upload_2018-11-15_22-3-25.jpeg

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have seen a few posts on Facebook in the last few days, a few people in the UK have just had the 670G.
I have my appt on the 3rd December (hoping its pump related) so will be mentioning the 670G :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Using a hybrid closed loop is amazing. Using a 670G is okay, as long as you can stomach the Enlite sensors, are happy to recalibrate 4 times per day and handle its hissy fits when it chucks you out of Auto mode without telling you why, and won't let you back in.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Using a hybrid closed loop is amazing. Using a 670G is okay, as long as you can stomach the Enlite sensors, are happy to recalibrate 4 times per day and handle its hissy fits when it chucks you out of Auto mode without telling you why, and won't let you back in.
Eek! You didn't tell me about that! Can they all chuck you out of Auto mode or has there been a fault in some 670Gs?

Reactions: kitedoc

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I have the enlite with the 640g. The communication between the 2 is that unreliable I have disabled the smartguard function. In a normal week when I check my BGL on the pump it will be having a hissy fit at least 20% of the time. The worst is you cant switch off the alarm (mine is vibrate) so 3:30am it wakes you to tell you it's had melt down... Thanks Medtronic. Apparently the new enlite sensors / 670g are better. To be honest they couldn't be worse. Before anyone asks I had my 5month old pump replaced (with a refurbished pump) and the transmitter replaced. I still find the reliability much better than the Libre.
It rarely records it's problems, well that us mortals can see and it recorded 3 failures yesterday. Don't bother calling Medtronic, they go through the diagnostic's, much like the IT Crowed - "have you switched it off and back on again".
Reasons given
You must be in a very electrical noisy place... On occasions riding a pushbike (no mobile phone because the reception is so poor)
The pump is to far away... what 5cm's is to far away.
You didn't put the sensor in correctly... I do it the way I was shown by the diabetic pump nurse - they even sent someone out to check.
The list goes on

Last edited:

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the enlite with the 640g. The communication between the 2 is that unreliable I have disabled the smartguard function. In a normal week when I check my BGL on the pump it will be having a hissy fit at least 20% of the time. The worst is you cant switch off the alarm (mine is vibrate) so 3:30am it wakes you to tell you it's had melt down... Thanks Medtronic. Apparently the new enlite sensors / 670g are better. To be honest they couldn't be worse. Before anyone asks I had my 5month old pump replaced (with a refurbished pump) and the transmitter replaced. I still find the reliability much better than the Libre.
It rarely records it's problems, well that us mortals can see and it recorded 3 failures yesterday. Don't bother calling Medtronic, they go through the diagnostic's, much like the IT Crowed - "have you switched it off and back on again".
Reasons given
You must be in a very electrical noisy place... On occasions riding a pushbike (no mobile phone because the reception is so poor)
The pump is to far away... what 5cm's is to far away.
You didn't put the sensor in correctly... I do it the way I was shown by the diabetic pump nurse - they even sent someone out to check.
The list goes on
I find the Enlite and 640G good, apart from the first 12 hours or so, but I only use the sensor to detect lows. When I was having problems with highs, I asked Medtronic if the alarm would go off even when there was plenty of active insulin to cover the high sugars. They said it would. That would drive me up the wall so I just continued using the sensor to detect lows. They did say that the 670G does take account of active insulin, so I can't wait to try it.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Eek! You didn't tell me about that! Can they all chuck you out of Auto mode or has there been a fault in some 670Gs?
It's part of the coding. If various "safety catches" get triggered , it will dump out of automode. There's a list buried in the manual. I think I covered a couple in here: https://www.diabettech.com/artifici...-what-can-we-glean-from-the-user-user-manual/

From the manual:

Auto Mode is turned off automatically after most pump alarms, except for the following alarms:
• Auto Suspend
• Battery failed
• Power loss
• Battery not compatible
• Insert battery
• Replace battery now
• Loading incomplete
• No reservoir detected
• Max fill reached
• Fill Cannula

If an alarm has initiated a pump reset, you must turn on Auto Mode again and go through a 5-hour warm-up period. For more information about pump alarms, see Pump alarms, alerts, and messages, on page 256.

Auto Mode may stop working because:
• You manually turned off the feature through the Auto Mode settings.
• Auto Mode has been in Safe Basal for 90 minutes. See Safe Basal, on page 238.
• Any suspend event has not been cleared within 4 hours.
• You manually turned off the Sensor feature or disconnected the transmitter.

Plenty of ways for it to get turned off.

Reactions: dancer

aphex2k

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that talk with their mouths full of food.
The sensors for the 670g haven't been granted approval yet in Australia as far as I'm aware. The pump has been available for a while and as a new adopter to the 640g they said I can upgrade, but still no approval for the sensors which I believe are different to the 640g sensors.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
The sensors for the 670g haven't been granted approval yet in Australia as far as I'm aware. The pump has been available for a while and as a new adopter to the 640g they said I can upgrade, but still no approval for the sensors which I believe are different to the 640g sensors.
Sensors aproved now......

Reactions: porl69