1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Medtronic 780 Does anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by LizLola, Jul 16, 2020.

1. LizLola

LizLola Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've just had my yearly check up via phone. My 640 pump is out of guarantee, extended till August 31st because of Covid. I have also spoken with a rep. from Medtronic who thinks the new one should be out September/October time. Is anyone else waiting until then to hopefully get the new pump, and does anyone have one to give feedback?

2. Chris1957

Chris1957 · Member

Hi I've just had a call from metronic my pump is due for replacement I've been told to contact my hospital to let them know.780 sounds so good

3. Pitsgate

Pitsgate Type 1 · Active Member

I’m struggling with this one too! Warranty on current 640 ran out few months ago and I just couldn’t decide between sticking with Medtronic (2 pumps from them - both been good ‍♀️) and taking the 670 or going for the t:slim - which sounds great.
    Then I got informed that if I went with Medtronic I’d get the 780 (once it came out)... and it kinda sounded good, so figured better the devil I know.

But am now constantly 2nd guessing that call. The guardian has been mostly ok with me but would love a cgm with longer life - 6 days with 2 times a day calibration weirdly just gets so irritating! Doesn’t sound much but... don’t know. Hence the Dexcom with t:slim sounds great. And the pump itself too. Something new, might be nice!

Having no independent reviews on the 780 doesn’t help.

Have you made a decision on this?

4. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not much of a difference @Pitsgate but the Guardian 3 lasts for 7days with the 670G. Have you tried extending its life by carefully disconnecting the transmitter, reconnecting and starting as a new sensor? I would still be doing that if I didn't have such sensitive skin. I never did try to extend more than 14 days.

5. Pitsgate

Hi @dancer, thank you for that - didnt know about the 7th day!
    I used to extend the sensors every now and then (and sometimes got quite a few extra days) but eventually just felt it was too fiddly.

I guess I’m hoping to hear from folk with Medtronic pumps who have switched to t:slim or... from folk with Medtronic who have stuck with Medtronic and have their eyes set on the 780. I have the 640g so slightly old technology and I’d love to stick with them but my main issues have been with the sensor so am just wondering if I’d in the end be happier with Dexcom etc. Hope you don’t mind me pushing for answers on this @LizLola!
    Sorry all, it’s a mess of a message/question - just feel a bit lost!!

6. Mainsail

Mainsail · Newbie

7. Mainsail

Mainsail · Newbie

I am in exactly the same position re the warranty which ran out in Sept but I have pretty well decided to stick with the 640G. That may sound crazy but my reason is that I am using a Freestyle Libre to control my BG and have been getting really good control for the past 4 years. This of course means that I have to transfer my BG readings manually from the Libre into the Medtronic pump while using the Libre to understand what is going on. My logic is that no matter which model of Medtronic you go for - even the new 780 - you still need to input your carbo figures manually anyway. While that may seem a nuisance, because it involves taking the pump off ones belt (or wherever else you retain it) and entering the carbo (grams), you can at the same time manually input the BG figure.
    Abbott have dramatically improved the accuracy of the Libre and I find it is in pretty good agreement with finger prick tests these days - to such an extent that I very rarely bother with finger pricking. The only time I would finger prick is if I have gone below 4.5 mmol/L AND the Libre is indicating I am still falling OR at the same time the pump shows I still have active insulin that is likely to take me into hypo territory. So the number of times one uses a finger prick test is dependent on how confident you feel with using the Libre and that confidence builds up with increase use when once you have your pump settings adjusted properly. It is still important to get the pump settings right but that applies whatever your choice of pump.
    So the big downside for me is the need to remove the pump many times a day to input carbo manually since this almost defeats the benefit of having a CGM which takes up more valuable body space that cannot be used for the infusion set. And additionally the real killer is the need to calibrate the sensor regularly.
    If you don't need a sensor for BG then that problem goes away and you might as well stick with the old Medtronic 640.
    Not everyone will agree with me and may prefer to let the pump do all the work for you , in which case I would imagine the 780 would be a good bet if you are allowed it. I just believe that one needs to have a good understanding of BG control, in which case I cannot see much benefit with the 670. But if you like the Libre there is no point in having a pump with another sensor.

#7 Mainsail, Oct 17, 2020 at 5:47 PM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  8. Chris1957

Chris1957 · Member

Just received this today.now all that's needed is training 20201019_140703.jpg 20201019_140638.jpg

9. Pitsgate

Brilliant! Hope you like it!
    Do keep us updated, please. Would love to hear how you find it.
    I’m currently going for the tandem but the backlog at the hospital etc is probably long enough for me to change my mind a good few times. And regardless of that, am interested in any case.

10. Chris1957

Chris1957 · Member

Had my 780g for nearly a week.
    Yep it looks lovely sitting on top of my kitchen cabinets waiting for hospital team to sort out the training

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook