Medtronic 780G, new pump user!

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Very exciting upgrades. Hopefully after they do them they won't have so many negative reviews.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Very exciting upgrades. Hopefully after they do them they won't have so many negative reviews.

Funny you should talk about negative comments, just been on the diabetes uk forum about a lady went live with her 780G around 2 weeks ago & she absolutely hates it. Soo much soo she removed the pump and set her old accu check back up. Quite worried now

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I was offered several pump including this one did the research and decided I didn't like the risks of the cgm not being good

I wanted a pump that worked with cgm due to the high risk job I have... having used the dexcom g6 and trusting its accuracy I decided to go the tslim route and I don't regret it... I use it with humalog

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was offered several pump including this one did the research and decided I didn't like the risks of the cgm not being good

I wanted a pump that worked with cgm due to the high risk job I have... having used the dexcom g6 and trusting its accuracy I decided to go the tslim route and I don't regret it... I use it with humalog

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I really wish Medtronic would get with the times and drop their idea of a functioning cgm. Every post I have read it's about diabetics who were on the 670 making the switch to Tandem, gee, "I wonder why." I mean their cgms work for some but that is one reason why I would rather do basal adjustments and corrections on my own. It is a little more work but at least my a1cs aren't suffering.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I really wish Medtronic would get with the times and drop their idea of a functioning cgm. Every post I have read it's about diabetics who were on the 670 making the switch to Tandem, gee, "I wonder why." I mean their cgms work for some but that is one reason why I would rather do basal adjustments and corrections on my own. It is a little more work but at least my a1cs aren't suffering.

Since finding out I was getting the 780G I’ve done a tonne of research into it, I’ve probably sat for at least an hour every night for the last 2 weeks looking on various diabetic forums, Facebook groups & review pages. From what I’ve seen the 780G works quite well alongside the guardian CGM & out of everything I’ve read I’ve only seen one bad review.
That came from a lady who moved from accu check to the 780G just before Christmas, she was using it without CGM & admitted she hadn’t give it enough time to understand the ins & outs.

Alarms seem to be less frequent, time in range seems to be quite high & CGM accuracy seems to be a lot better.

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's nice to know. I am going to be very careful with upgrading as of yet. I might wait on it for a bit. I would love a closed loop system but in order for it to work the cgm has to be accurate. How often do you use the blood sugar number when the cgm goes of without checking on a meter. They say you still need to check with a meter before treatment. I know Medtronic is trying to improve their sensors but it is going to take a while to win people's trust. It is so sad that in 2008 when I was deciding which insulin pump I should use we had about4 different pump companies, now there are only about 3. I really want to trust that the 780 will be better.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's nice to know. I am going to be very careful with upgrading as of yet. I might wait on it for a bit. I would love a closed loop system but in order for it to work the cgm has to be accurate. How often do you use the blood sugar number when the cgm goes of without checking on a meter. They say you still need to check with a meter before treatment. I know Medtronic is trying to improve their sensors but it is going to take a while to win people's trust. It is so sad that in 2008 when I was deciding which insulin pump I should use we had about4 different pump companies, now there are only about 3. I really want to trust that the 780 will be better.

I haven't started using my 780g so can't comment on the cgm not working or going off. I know the guardian needs 2 blood sugar calibration tests per day but never heard of needing to check with a meter before any treatment, if that was the case what would be the point in the cgm. It would be a complete useless piece of a kit that the NHS would be funding. I wonder if the sensors have already been improved ready for the 780g. I wasn't given any options on other pumps or brands, I was told I was getting the 780G which to be honest im happy with. If they had offered me the T-Slim or the Accu check pump personally I still would of picked the Medtronic system.

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't started using my 780g so can't comment on the cgm not working or going off. I know the guardian needs 2 blood sugar calibration tests per day but never heard of needing to check with a meter before any treatment, if that was the case what would be the point in the cgm. It would be a complete useless piece of a kit that the NHS would be funding. I wonder if the sensors have already been improved ready for the 780g. I wasn't given any options on other pumps or brands, I was told I was getting the 780G which to be honest im happy with. If they had offered me the T-Slim or the Accu check pump personally I still would of picked the Medtronic system.

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the enlit sensors were like that. I haven't use a medtronic cgm since the dexcom g5 came out.

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am looking towards the 770 to help take alot of work I do in order to manage my bloodsugars. I sometimes feel like that is all I do is just manage my sugars. I want this pump to help me forget about my diabetes. Do you think it will do that? As it is I can get good control 70-90% on target. I don't want alot of alarms waking me up through the night.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am looking towards the 770 to help take alot of work I do in order to manage my bloodsugars. I sometimes feel like that is all I do is just manage my sugars. I want this pump to help me forget about my diabetes. Do you think it will do that? As it is I can get good control 70-90% on target. I don't want alot of alarms waking me up through the night.

Are you Uk or USA based? The 780G is available in the uk right now but hasn’t been approved by the FDA for the USA. Seen a lot of people say the 770 can have a software update which will make it exactly the same as the 780 but unsure how that works. Might be completely wrong here but I don’t think the 770G can give automatic insulin when it senses highs or shut off insulin when going low. Could be wrong though.

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am in Canada. Windsor Ontario to be exact. What I know is that the 780 will provide correction bolusses or if you don't know the exact carbs. I am sure the 780 will be approved in Canada before February 2023 the date government program in Canada will allow me to get it. I am just a little worried about how the sensor will perform. There will be a software update to the 770 when the 780 is approved. The upgrade will be available until April30 2021 so I have some time to research everybody's reviews. I downloaded the manual and the menu layout looks the same so I am familiar with it.

cosmicpoppy

Hi, Ive been upgraded from a 640G to the 780G with CGM funded by the NHS. My training session is on the 11th January and I'm very excited!
Marco - Good luck for 7th Jan1

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Ive been upgraded from a 640G to the 780G with CGM funded by the NHS. My training session is on the 11th January and I'm very excited!
Marco - Good luck for 7th Jan1

Hey Cosmic,
That’s awesome news. I also got the CGM funded. My pump sensors & all the accessories came on New Year’s Eve. Soo annoying having it sat there & not been able to use it. I haven’t used a pump in a good 10/11 year.

Keep in touch, it’ll be good to see how someone else is getting along who is starting out on the 780G at the same time as me.

Goodluck!

Dee 11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So happy for you!!! I hope that the 780 delivers better results than the 670. They say it is. They say that they have quieted alot of the alerts to enter a bloodsugar especially in the middle of the night. Eventually Medtronic is going to get better cgm technology. Please keep us informed of your results.

Reactions: Maco

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I am very interested in the 780g with the cgm not available here in France at the moment but one day it will be, I am still on libre xdrip and smartwatch good but not perfect, so keep postings to let us know how good it is, no doubt it will have some problems or just take time to get to know it, so good luck

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I am very interested in the 780g with the cgm not available here in France at the moment but one day it will be, I am still on libre xdrip and smartwatch good but not perfect, so keep postings to let us know how good it is, no doubt it will have some problems or just take time to get to know it, so good luck

Could you not self fund the cgm yourself? Im certainly expecting a few issues but from other reviews I've seen nothing too major.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I could but at over 300 euros a month it would remove a very big chunk from my pension, so no I would not self fund, I did 8 years ago with the enlite senser for a short while, so for now I will have to continue with the libre and xdrip, but who knows things change so fast nowadays, cgm,s May become the norm not just the libre which on its own I found not very accurate some of the time

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I could but at over 300 euros a month it would remove a very big chunk from my pension, so no I would not self fund, I did 8 years ago with the enlite senser for a short while, so for now I will have to continue with the libre and xdrip, but who knows things change so fast nowadays, cgm,s May become the norm not just the libre which on its own I found not very accurate some of the time

Not sure how the healthcare works in France, but is the dexcom not available for funding? It would work alongside the tandem tslim if again they would fund you that pump. If I’m completely unbiased & not sticking up for the 780G just because that’s the pump I’ve been given then the dexcom + tslim seem like a much better option.