Medtronic 780G Pump & Guardian 4 Sensor (Closed Loop System) Temp Target ?

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I appreciate all the comments and experiences shared by those using Medtronic 780G. Do you know if that Virtual Event is available online to USA? I’d be interested.

These are my questions if anyone knows:

Does 780 truly predict trends and treat accordingly before an event happens? I recall that I’ve read many places that my 670G is supposed to learn your needs, trends, etc and perform accordingly, but I’ve never found that in the Medtronic 670 G materials. I’ve looked for years. If anyone v knows where it is, I’d like to see it. Perhaps, the 780 really does profess to do that.

Also, on the 780 do you have the option of Auto or Manual? Is there any option to set Basal amounts or are they not needed?

Is there a Temp Target option, where you are going to exercise?

Does the 780 ever Notify you to Enter BG?

Is it possible to Calibrate if the BG is substantially different from a finger stick? I’m talking 100 points off.

Thanks for any feedback.

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I appreciate all the comments and experiences shared by those using Medtronic 780G. Do you know if that Virtual Event is available online to USA? I’d be interested.

Does 780 truly predict trends and treat accordingly before an event happens? I recall that I’ve read many places that my 670G is supposed to learn your needs, trends, etc and perform accordingly, but I’ve never found that in the Medtronic 670 G materials. I’ve looked for years. If anyone v knows where it is, I’d like to see it. Perhaps, the 780 really does profess to do that.

Also, on the 780 do you have the option of Auto or Manual? Is there any option to set Basal amounts or are they not needed?

Is it possible to Calibrate if the BG is substantially different from a finger stick? I’m talking 100 points off.

Thanks for any feedback.
Sounds like the Medtronic has come along way! My first pump was the 640 and gaurdian 4 cgm and I hated it LOL.....mostly the cgm adhesive didn't like me and ended up with a major rash!

But just seen the question on callibrating....I dont think if will let you callibrate it of it's more than 10% different. It will just give you a sensor error and wil make u change it! How the Medtronic used to be and my tandem is the same. I've given up callibrating and if it's wildly out I just give it a couple hours and seems to right itself normally

Reactions: Prancy

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like the Medtronic has come along way! My first pump was the 640 and gaurdian 4 cgm and I hated it LOL.....mostly the cgm adhesive didn't like me and ended up with a major rash!

But just seen the question on callibrating....I dont think if will let you callibrate it of it's more than 10% different. It will just give you a sensor error and wil make u change it! How the Medtronic used to be and my tandem is the same. I've given up callibrating and if it's wildly out I just give it a couple hours and seems to right itself normally
Which Medtronic are you using now?

faustus67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Thanks for any feedback.
You may have the answers all ready (and I'm not sure I should be speaking here as I've only been using SmartGuard a few weeks). But I cam answer a few of your question. The 780 does let you use manual (meaning turning SmartGuard off). I did that for a few weeks and it's a good pump in itself. You can't set basal rates in automatic as the pump is looking after that, but you have to set the basal rate for manual use. There is a temp target for exercise (I think it's 8.3mmol about 150mg). The pump does sometimes notify you for a finger stick - I've had it twice. Once because the basal rate was maxed out for 7 hours and my BS was still high and once because my basal rate was 0 for 7 hours and my BS was still low. Go figure. You can calibrate the pump with a fingerprick (you have to do with so when you change the sensor) but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.

Hope that helps.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You may have the answers all ready (and I'm not sure I should be speaking here as I've only been using SmartGuard a few weeks). But I cam answer a few of your question. The 780 does let you use manual (meaning turning SmartGuard off). I did that for a few weeks and it's a good pump in itself. You can't set basal rates in automatic as the pump is looking after that, but you have to set the basal rate for manual use. There is a temp target for exercise (I think it's 8.3mmol about 150mg). The pump does sometimes notify you for a finger stick - I've had it twice. Once because the basal rate was maxed out for 7 hours and my BS was still high and once because my basal rate was 0 for 7 hours and my BS was still low. Go figure. You can calibrate the pump with a fingerprick (you have to do with so when you change the sensor) but I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes.

Hope that helps.
I’m getting close to making a decision. I’m leaning towards Medtronic 780G. I guess I’m more comfortable with that choice, because I have used the 670 for several years. Something about starting with TSlim and Dexcom is daunting, even though I did use Dexcom for a year before I went with 670g. I’m so scared of picking one and then being disappointed. Everyone is different. And, my pump is performing differently than it did in prior years too. It’s so strange. ? Why does it suddenly start performing well? Weird.

Reactions: faustus67

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m getting close to making a decision. I’m leaning towards Medtronic 780G. I guess I’m more comfortable with that choice, because I have used the 670 for several years. Something about starting with TSlim and Dexcom is daunting, even though I did use Dexcom for a year before I went with 670g. I’m so scared of picking one and then being disappointed. Everyone is different. And, my pump is performing differently than it did in prior years too. It’s so strange. ? Why does it suddenly start performing well? Weird.

It’s interesting to see how the M780 gives varying micro boluses when it detects an upward trend - when there’s insufficient active insulin.
IMG_1687271006.804263.jpg

For me it was a natural progression from the M670.

If you can get the G4’s and the Extended Wear Infusion Sets then it really is an extra advantage.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It’s interesting to see how the M780 gives varying micro boluses when it detects an upward trend - when there’s insufficient active insulin.
View attachment 61545

For me it was a natural progression from the M670.

If you can get the G4’s and the Extended Wear Infusion Sets then it really is an extra advantage.
I love the auto correction, but is there a way to ease off that? For example, if I’m going to have a glass of wine. My BG will plummet when I do that, so I’d like to get my BG up a little to allow for the drop. But, how is that possible, if the auto corrections kick in? So, would you exit auto mode and reduce the Basal in manual mode?

faustus67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love the auto correction, but is there a way to ease off that? For example, if I’m going to have a glass of wine. My BG will plummet when I do that, so I’d like to get my BG up a little to allow for the drop. But, how is that possible, if the auto corrections kick in? So, would you exit auto mode and reduce the Basal in manual mode?
You could use the Temp Target, which raises the target up to 8.3. Mostly used for sports, but it would work for wine too.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You could use the Temp Target, which raises the target up to 8.3. Mostly used for sports, but it would work for wine too.
Ok. Sometimes, I need more help than Temp Target though. I’m not sure why I have that happen. Even though the drink has carbs, my BG will just drop, even with no insulin and some food. I guess I can Suspend Delivery too.