Medtronic 780g - SmartGuard and Low Suspend

TypeUno

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

I’ve recently started using the Medtronic 780g + Guardian 3 sensor (my previous pump was the 640g with the same sensor) with the SmartGuard function enabled.

It seems great for avoiding high levels, but for low levels you can’t seem to have the auto-suspend function on when your BGs go below the range you have set (in my case below 4.4 mol/L), nor can you see on the graph whether any action has been taken to suspend insulin levels (unless I am missing something). With my 640g the auto suspend feature was really useful, so it seems odd that the SmartGuard on the 780g wouldn’t use it too.

Does anyone know if this pump can indeed auto suspend when in SmartGuard mode, and if so how do you know based on looking at the main screen and graph?

Many thanks in advance!

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi TypeUno. I’m actually on the m670g - your pump’s predecessor.

I believe the functionality is similar which means your pump should always try and keep you within your target range when in Auto Mode e.g When your glucose levels might be rising your pump will be increasingly giving you micro boluses to try and keep you within range.

If your glucose levels are decreasing when in Auto Mode then your pump will just stop bolusing and hopefully prevent a hypo. As you will see you may still need to take your own corrective action by taking glucose etc particularly if you’re taking exercise.

If your pump works like mine then in order to use auto-suspend you would need to turn off auto mode which I think defeats the main reason for having the pump.

These pumps do have their limitations but are still very capable of giving good control when used correctly - which might take a bit longer for you to achieve until you gain more experience.

Last edited:

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I have just started780 also and was told you do not get full function with guardian 3 and need to change to guardian 4. Same Price. Could be your problem
It shows pump is stopped or giving extra but does not have suspend on low set as smart guard over rides this

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I have just started780 also and was told you do not get full function with guardian 3 and need to change to guardian 4. Same Price. Could be your problem
It shows pump is stopped or giving extra but does not have suspend on low set as smart guard over rides this
I had a training course

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Started 780G for my son, happy that highs are avoided or duration of highs are lesser. But too many auto corrections lead to low most of the time. Apart from that sensor begins malfunctioning the moment we give a blood sugar that is not in range.
If medtronic can give solutions for these two it would be a great pump.
I believe if the auto correction duration is changed to 7 minutes/10 minutes then too many auto correction issue will be resolved.

Deejaypdex

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

I’ve recently started using the Medtronic 780g + Guardian 3 sensor (my previous pump was the 640g with the same sensor) with the SmartGuard function enabled.

It seems great for avoiding high levels, but for low levels you can’t seem to have the auto-suspend function on when your BGs go below the range you have set (in my case below 4.4 mol/L), nor can you see on the graph whether any action has been taken to suspend insulin levels (unless I am missing something). With my 640g the auto suspend feature was really useful, so it seems odd that the SmartGuard on the 780g wouldn’t use it too.

Does anyone know if this pump can indeed auto suspend when in SmartGuard mode, and if so how do you know based on looking at the main screen and graph?

Many thanks in advance!
Hey, I’ve been on the 780 with the guardian sensors for almost 1 year now.

To answer your question - the function is not relevant when you are using smart guard. Smart guard is constantly modulating, and sometimes stopping completely, your basal insulin in order to try and keep you at your target blood sugar (eg 5.5 or whatever you have it set at).

When looking at the graph, on the app or on the pump, the purple bars at the top represent you basal insulin, and you’ll see either no bar, a small bar or a bigger bar to indicate how much basal has been deliver in any given 5 minute window. When you are heading low, you should just see gaps in the purple bars to show no basal insulin was delivered.

The way the algorithm works is not effected by using the guardian 3 or guardian 4 sensors (apart from the need to calibrate with the former)