Type 1 Medtronic CGM or Dexcom?

dulcis_dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all.

Looking for some advice/opinions/input. I am considering (pretty much decided on!!) getting CGM (self funding) and have been looking mainly at the Dexcom. However I have also been very interested in the Medtronic one too. I currently have a Medtronic Veo pump, which will be due to be replaced in the next few months. I like that the Dexcom sensors can last for up 14-21 days which will help with costing, but I’m really drawn to the Medtronic one due to the Safeguard feature. Hypos are not an issue at present, but hoping to be trying for a baby next year and alongside the hypo risks with tightening my control just now I am also concerned about hypos in the first trimester, so the auto switch off is very tempting.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Medtronic CGM - how long the sensors last, running costs, how accurate it is etc? I would be very grateful for any input.

Many thanks!!

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I have the Dexcom, and have never looked at the Medtronic, but something in the back of my mind is saying that @catapillar might use that one?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Medtronic cgm with my 640G pump. It is, on the whole, great. There are hiccups now and again but I wouldn't be without it.

The Enlite sensor lasts, officially, 6 days but I have managed to restart it as a new sensor, and get 12 days out of it. I have never tried getting longer than 12 days, as I have very sensitive skin, but have heard that others have.

If it isn't too long till you upgrade from the Veo, I would hold off getting the Enlite starter kit, as the transmitter is different from the one used for the 640G. I don't know what Medtronic's policy is in upgrading transmitters, but you could ask them, if you feel you want to start the cgm sooner rather than later.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used enlite sensors with the Medtronic 640. Unfortunately I didn't get on with the sensors very well. I think that's probably something to do with my individual body chemistry just not suiting the sensors, so I had lots of problems with inaccuracy and sensor failures. It made them very high maintenance for me and having been used to the dexcom which worked easily and simply I quickly lost patience with it. If you get on with the sensors the the 640 predictive low suspend is a great feature. I think Medtronic may still not be taking on new customers for CGM, because they were having serious sensor supply issues. Although they were saying they would start accepting new customers in the new year.

dulcis_dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for the replies!! Been trying to read up all the info, but it’s no where near as good as reading peoples experiences & opinions. Would be great if it was possible to trial the sensors etc to see how you get on with them before investing in them!

dulcis_dente

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Medtronic cgm with my 640G pump. It is, on the whole, great. There are hiccups now and again but I wouldn't be without it.

The Enlite sensor lasts, officially, 6 days but I have managed to restart it as a new sensor, and get 12 days out of it. I have never tried getting longer than 12 days, as I have very sensitive skin, but have heard that others have.

If it isn't too long till you upgrade from the Veo, I would hold off getting the Enlite starter kit, as the transmitter is different from the one used for the 640G. I don't know what Medtronic's policy is in upgrading transmitters, but you could ask them, if you feel you want to start the cgm sooner rather than later.

Thanks @dancer!! I have contacted Medtronic to find out about upgrading transmitters. I also asked if they’d be willing for my pump to be upgraded 3 months early if I was to buy the CGM so I can get the compatible systems together. Not overly hopeful, but we shall see.....

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a trial of the Enlite sensor when I had the Veo (only one sensor). You should ask Medtronic if they could arrange a trial for you. Of course, the Veo is not as good as the 640G, as I believe it switched off the basal when approaching low but did not switch back on again when BG had risen back to target range.