Medtronic closed loop

janetlouise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have Medtronic 780 closed loop system using the Guardian 4 Sensor.
Over the past few months, I’ve been unable to use the senors as they keep saying Sensor Updating. I’ve checked the site, moved the site, but it still keeps saying it and will go on for a lot more than three hours. I’ve telephoned Medtronic and they have sent new sensors and it still does it. I’m now thinking it’s the pump, which is concerning.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Thanks for any info

Dexta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like an out of range signal issue.
As this may well be with your pump I would persist with Medtronic Tech Support.
It will be really helpful if you can keep us updated.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not that I use Medtronic anymore but I see various Facebook groups getting increasingly frustrated with similar problems you describe. Hopefully Medtronic will have their new sensor available soon.

janetlouise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank-you Dexter and Eventhorizon. I shall be contacting Medtronic soon. I have tried moving the pump close to the sensor site, but still no luck

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Medtronic are issuing me with a new transmitter, so i hope this does the trick.
I just saw your post about this problem. I‘ve been on the 780 for s couple of months and have encountered the Sensor Updating several times since getting it. It occurred more often on the 670g, that I had prior to 780. Sometimes, it will recover, but normally it will not. I normally go ahead and change the sensor instead of waiting. Oh, about 90% of the time the Sensor Updating mode starts, it’s late in the evening for me….often near midnight. The worst time to have to start a new sensor. So odd.

Please post an update when you can, I’m no expert, but feel it’s the sensor quality and not the transmitter that causes this with mine. An online friend believes it’s the fit of the sensor in the skin. If it wiggles around a little, it gets confused. I can see that too. I try to ensure mine is firmly taped down. I don’t think this problem is unique to Medtronic, as other brands report similar problems.

janetlouise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just saw your post about this problem. I‘ve been on the 780 for s couple of months and have encountered the Sensor Updating several times since getting it. It occurred more often on the 670g, that I had prior to 780. Sometimes, it will recover, but normally it will not. I normally go ahead and change the sensor instead of waiting. Oh, about 90% of the time the Sensor Updating mode starts, it’s late in the evening for me….often near midnight. The worst time to have to start a new sensor. So odd.

Please post an update when you can, I’m no expert, but feel it’s the sensor quality and not the transmitter that causes this with mine. An online friend believes it’s the fit of the sensor in the skin. If it wiggles around a little, it gets confused. I can see that too. I try to ensure mine is firmly taped down. I don’t think this problem is unique to Medtronic, as other brands report similar problems.

janetlouise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Funnily enough mine would be in the evening - a right pain, and you’re just hoping it would behave as it should, and then it start informing you throughout the night. I would imagine most folk would change it in the evening as busy through the day.
I should be getting a new transmitter, as it’s now thought it could be that - definitely hope it works right once I receive the transmitter.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
. I don’t think this problem is unique to Medtronic, as other brands report similar problems.
I've never had that issue with Dexcom, and from speaking to others before I chose my pump, those using Medtronic sensors were having the issues, whilst Dexcom users weren't. I appreciate this won't be the case for everyone, but certainly was the top reasons why I chose Tandem over Medtronic.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone is different, but I’ve read just as many complaints about Dexcom and Libre, as Medtronic. I actually had a Dexcom cgm for over a year before I got my 670 pump. I had similar issues.

On the upside, right now, I have another 24 hours of 100% TIR. Love that.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just wanted to add….I’m still 100% TIR this morning. The 780 is keeping me in the 70-90 BG range. It’s crazy! My alerts were waking me up in the early morning, so I lowered it from 80 to 70. If this continues…..my next a1c will be in the 5-6 range! I have never had that since getting T1. Ever. I have struggled to be in 7 range with a little in 6. I realize doctors don’t like it that low for t1, but if there are no events of hypoglycemia, it’s ok, right? I just need to work on post meal rise. That’s the only thing taking my average BG over 100.

IMG_0773.png

Last edited:

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, don’t know how to make the image smaller. Can a mod do it? Thanks.

janetlouise

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to add….I’m still 100% TIR this morning. The 780 is keeping me in the 70-90 BG range. It’s crazy! My alerts were waking me up in the early morning, so I lowered it from 80 to 70. If this continues…..my next a1c will be in the 5-6 range! I have never had that since getting T1. Ever. I have struggled to be in 7 range with a little in 6. I realize doctors don’t like it that low for t1, but if there are no events of hypoglycemia, it’s ok, right? I just need to work on post meal rise. That’s the only thing taking my average BG over 100.

View attachment 67369

View attachment 67369

View attachment 67369
Hi, all sounds perfect.
The after meal glucose levels can be a tad annoying and I guess if you do a correction dose of insulin, your glucose levels drop a bit too low? Could try :
Bolus 10 mins before meal if safe to do so.
Spread your meal out a bit, give the insulin time to work.
Check your basal rates.
But sometimes it can be down to yesterdays events - just sometimes, if your days are too different, blood glucose the following day adjusts, so you’d have to check insulin to carb ratio and maybe give a temp basal, but you’d have to come out of smart guard if on Medtronic closed loop system, then go back in.
Check speed of insulin going in.
BUT whatever you do, always check blood glucose levels. Doctors like blood glucose a fraction higher to give you chance of realising you’re in a hypo before it drops too low. Luckily we have gadgets to warn us, but just in case .
Good luck with getting it right.

Reactions: Prancy