Medtronic Paradigm Veo - Beginner

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thought I'd better point out that one sensor costs around £55 and is licensed for only 6 days. I've had a free trial of the sensor and thought it was great. I'm hoping that Medtronic will again offer a free transmitter with a box of 5 sensors. I just missed their last offer and don't want to pay out almost £500 if I don't need to.

Reactions: 2 people

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Flowerpot and @shedges for the reassurance :)

Oh gosh @dancer that is very expensive isn't it! I will maybe look out for a trial too once I'm all set up.

Yesterday I collected a UPS parcel that was undelivered, was not expecting it to be my pump!! It's official its here, alone with 120 pink Mio infusion sets, 6 packs of batteries, 120 reservoirs, care link usb and a contour next link bg monitor. It is so real and exciting now? I just want to get started!

Has anyone used the Mio infusion sets, care link usb or the next link monitor?

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Claire,

I started on the veo in October, I was straight onto insulin on my first day without a saline start. I think different hospitals have different processes depending on where you are? (I'm in Edinburgh)

I'm not going to beat about the bush but the first 2 weeks for me were extremely hard work! Physically and mentally tiring with 2 hourly testing, up through the night, fasting or carb free meals to test you basal rates. And dealing with daily tasks like my toddler running wild around me lol

But the hard works pays off! 3 months later and my hba1c is down 1.3% and I've still got to get the fine tuning perfect so cant wait to see the result in another 3 months time!

It really is so flexible, I couldn't imagine my life without it now.

As I'm a new pump user too, feel free to get in touch as the support can be welcoming at the time!

Good luck!

Ash

Reactions: 5 people

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
P.s I'm using the contour next meter, carelink and the mio infusion sets so same equipment as you are

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Ash2014 for getting in touch.mIt's great to hear how much your hard work has paid off already! We should keep in touch considering we're using all the same stuff. I'm in Glasgow so not too far from you :)

I'm really excited to get started now!

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Gosh, 120 Mios and reservoirs? I recently had to get written permission from my DSN to order 60 instead of 30 because the hospital said some people were stockpiling them and they were now limiting orders to 3 month supplies. As I have to change my set every 2 days, 30 wouldn't last me 3 months.

I find the Mio is great. I had occasional problems but when my DSN watched my technique, she showed me a better way of taking off the blue needle guard.

I was given the next link monitor and the Verio IQ, to see which one I preferred. Both were good but I decided on the Verio as it has a clearer screen - well, at my age I need all the help I can get!

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@dancer I know so much! It all came in the one box and was delivered by UPS to my home - struggled taking it upstairs. I worked out I've got 40 weeks worth - I need to find somewhere to put everything now. I had a look at the pump itself it's quite light but ever so slightly bigger than I thought it would be.

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought you were in Scotland @ClaireCissie since we all seem to get given the Veo with no other pump choice! It's a fab pump though and so exciting starting the pump! I have such a fab relationship with it now compared to struggling along with MDI for 20 years!

You have been given a large quantity of supplies! It will need its own cupboard space lol I only get 3 boxes of each!

As @dancer has said the mio infusion sets are great but can cause issues if you don't get the technique right. To begin with I had the tubing clipped onto the inset before I pulled it back so it was actually pushing the cannula up the needle hardly leaving any exposed and had a few "curly cannulas"! Ketones kick in very quickly on the pump as it relying purely on quick acting.

Have you got the 180 or 300 sized pump? You will get used to it. I keep it in my bra during the day and just rolls about the bed at night lol you can get some nice covers from www.ipsox.co.uk, also make it a bit more comfortable to wear in your bra!

Keep us updated on how you get on :D

Jemzor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your time getting back to me! @shedges I really appreciate hearing the reality of things! I practice ashtanga yoga twice a week which is quite demanding and I will aim to keep this up at least in the second of the 2 introductory weeks so I'm ready to integrate into "normal life". I have always found exercise to be more hassle than it was worth with my diabetes. If I exercised to vigorously I could end up with ketones after a 1 hour body attack class, then plummet into a hypo a couple of hours later, which resulted in binge eating and just a general frustration which followed exercising!! So I'll make sure not to cut out my yoga at first. ☺️

Hi @ClaireCissie. The situation you have described with exercise is exactly what happens to me when I train anaerobically (so at a high heart rate). I have learnt through blood testing regularly before, during and after exercise that I am not rebounding off a hypo during exercise. This is one of the fundamental reasons why I decided to pursue the insulin pump (I actually had the go-ahead given to me today so equally excited!). Fingers crossed you will find a way of accomodating your yoga into your routine now with an insulin pump.

caretaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everyone!

I am 23 and was diagnosed with T1 10 years ago this February. I have been on a basol bolus regime for at least 7 years and feel quite confident with carb counting but unfortunately can't seem to get my diabetes under good control. My last HBA1C reading was at 8.5% (I think) and for this reason I have met requirement for pump therapy. I have just been offered the opportunity to move onto insulin pump with 3 other people which I am very grateful for. My "go-live" date is the 9th of February and I have technical training in 2 weeks time. I have chosen the Silver Medtronic Paradigm Veo and I am very excited to get started. I am looking for any information or advise from any pump users out there about what to expect? If there are any significant disadvantages from the off-set? How it will affect me when driving, out drinking etc.? Anything at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Claire ☺️
Hi
i am going to start my training on the 17 feb.
i've been type 1 for 41 years and no what you mean about gaining a real good BG . I wish you all the best with the pump .I am the same and would also like to hear other peoples experiences when starting out .
let us no how you get on
Good luck

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you @Ash2014 for the link I've been looking up accessories in the past couple of weeks but have struggled to find a uk supplier. I am unsure if it's the 180 or 300 I can't seem to find that info anywhere. I think it's the smaller one though?

@Jemzor I only find the extreme rise in bg with anaerobic exercise too. Classes like body attack and metafit or even running. I put it down to the exercise being too vigorous for me, moderate exercise like walking or ashtanga yoga drops my bg though. I'm sure I will find different patterns again when using the pump. I believe I can set up temporary basal rates for 30 mins or longer to cover periods of exercise so fingers crossed the pump gives me more control.

@caretaker that's great news about your pump - not long now until your go live!

It's starting to feel very real now I took my last lantus dose this morning - good bye long acting insulin! I feel surprisingly anxious about tomorrow... Eek! Did anyone else find it quite daunting when inserting the cannula for the first time? The thought of it is slightly freaking me out!

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again! Well I have been pumping for 2 weeks now. I felt the benefit from my 'saline start' but appreciate this isn't an option for everyone. I enjoyed the freedom of getting use to handling the pump, adjusting and deciding where to wear it and generally getting use to being attached!!! We are best buddy's now!!! I was nervous about my insulin start, more fear than nerves, but I soon relaxed after the first 24 hours when I realised that although variable....I could manage my blood glucose readings, I had pleanty of practise as my BM's Swung from high to low whilst waiting for my Lantus to leave my body. I have adapted well to the regular BM testing, including through the night (evening BM levels depending) but being honest I have taken sick time from my job, as I work long shifts in a busy, stressful and demanding job- I just can't face trying to deal with both at this time! (Luckily my managers are supportive) my BMs are starting to settle and have been busy adjusting my basal patterns, and now have variable carb ratios! I have gained pleanty of practice with changing my line (Minimed quickset) and have encountered trouble shooting, blood on insertion (I replaced the line), bubbles in syringe!! (Always use insulin at room temperature!!!!!) and knowing the best place to position the line ( not on waistband or too close to upper abdomen as it rubs against the bottom of my rib!!! When sat down) I find it easier to insert whilst standing. I do love my pump already, I was prepared for the hard work- and trust me it is!! But I already feel the freedom of no injections! I know this is just the beginning of a long road but I feel truly blessed to have this opportunity and I only have one chance, my hospital works on a 6 month trial basis!! So I am giving this 110%. Good luck for your first few days and weeks and to those other forum users who are approaching the life of pumping x

Reactions: 4 people

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It got off to a good start yesterday and was out hospital and home after 5 hours. I've literally tested every 30 mins since 9am yesterday! My nerves completely settled once I got to the hospital. I was lucky to go live with 2 others so this was reassuring.

I've been using temp basal increase/decrease to keep my bg in target while I've had bolus insulin on board as my ratios are also not right yet, but it went well and I felt in control of what was going on. Driving the pump like a car - accelerating and slowing down :)

As my doses aren't set up yet and there was likely to be a residue of lantus in my system still I was to keep my bg between 10-12 when going to sleep and was to do this by having a snack. I had my first snack at 10pm and by 11pm there wasn't a huge increase so I had another snack BIG MISTAKE. I then tested at midnight I was at 9.4 which I was happy with and I fell asleep but woke up in a pool of sweat by 1.30am :( BG was at 15 and I had 0.6 ketones. Has anyone ever found this as a symptom when experiencing a quick rise in ketones?

No one should underestimate how quickly you can develop ketones when you don't have a long acting insulin in you!! I couldn't believe an extra snack could cause so much damage.

When on MDI a bg of 15 was normal at some point of the day for me and the thought of developing ketones within 1-2 hours would never have crossed my mind! Also having a snack before bed and having a slightly higher bg wouldn't matter as my lantus would always bring me back down in time for waking up.

I'm glad it happened on my first night and now I know to be careful with snacking and never to ignore a high bg when using the pump. This is my advise to all new pumpers especially if a bg of slightly over 13.9 never usually phased you on MDI!

When did your basal rates start to settle and were you lucky to have consistent trends to make changes?

ClaireCissie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also can't wait to change my set again tomorrow. I'm sure I won't be sounding so keen next month haha I'll be sick of doing it by then!

And for anyone worried about how it feels to be attached... You forget it's even there it becomes part of you so quickly! Although I did sit it on the bed and almost walked away without picking it up while getting changed yesterday.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1423570382.356339.jpg

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh I know! I had sore fingers after 2 days as I was really bad for thinking I "felt funny" and when the nurse told me my hypo symptoms can be different I constantly thought I was hypo but the more testing the better at the beginning! It always helps starting along with others, swap numbers as well so you can share different experiences.

i'm quite surprised you are using temp basals already? We just kept correcting with bolus and changing basal rates as part of our basal testing but every clinic may be different. I really advise purchasing the pumping insulin book by john walsh, it helped me so much to get my basals right.

0.6 levels of ketones can be quite normal when at a fasting level, above 0.6 is when you have to treat. I worried about ketones a lot when I first started as on the 5th day my ketones were 2.8!!! Turned out I was coming down with the cold as well so didn't help at the start. Ketones do come on very quickly which is why it is always advised to carry your ketone meter and an insulin pen to correct should your pump fail for any reason.

I probably only got my basal settled after about 2 months but my daily routine is constantly different with my job. I guess it might be easier if you follow the same routine to spot trends.

Hope your 2nd night goes well! Tomorrow I'd imagine you will be learning about dual and square wave bolus? These work great for me!!

Ash2014

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ps some tea tree cream on the area where your last set was attached can help reduce "that itch"!!! Lol xx