Medtrum CGM & Sugarbeat

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Has anybody got any further News on when Medtrum will be releasing there CGM in the UK?

I believe Sugarbeat CGM will be released in the UK very shortly, More competition the better.

Many thanks

padre.will

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do wish the Sugarbeat would be released soon, but they've been regularly shoving the date back by half-a-year or so since 2016, as far as I can tell. I fear it's actually vapourware. :(

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was offered this back in September. I was thinking of giving it a try, however they didn't answer some of my questions. As I currently use a Dexcom with xDrip with sensors lasting about 3 weeks, I wanted to know if their sensors could be restarted & whether the output was encrypted.
Unfortunately they didn't reply.

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just purchased 4 sensors and a rechargeable Transmitter for £225 all working fine the sensor works for 7 days had no connection problems at all and the accuracy at the moment is very good, The only criticism is the lack of reporting which i presume they will update this.

padre.will

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cool. :) How are you finding the accuracy as compared to the Libre? (Are you far enough in to have a notion?)

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes the Accuracy is better than the Libre - I have been wearing it now for 2 Days you have to callibrate it just like the Dexcom every 12 Hours. I have tried to upload pictures where i have taken pictures of a Medtrum compared to my Blood sugar and they are almost bang on, The reporting function is pretty basic but probably room for improvement also the CGM updates every 2 minutes rather than 5 minuted for the Dexcom, Works with Android or Apple and reports are in the cloud, Also the customer service from Medtrum has been excellent.

padre.will

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really worth knowing. Thanks so much. :) I couldn't find prices or how to purchase on their website; do you have a link? Or do you need to ring or email them? Also ... the transmitter is a one-time purchase, given it's rechargeable? What's the breakdown on that £225 ... i.e., how much is the transmitter and how much are the sensors each? I'd be interested in cost-effectiveness of the Medtrum as compared to the Libre, as I'm self-funding. (Though angling for a Libre prescription ... which, if I manage, it'd be hard to argue with free!)

redditchdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You will need to contact them direct - [email protected]

The breakdown consists of 4 x sensors that last 7 days per one sensor a transmitter that is rechargeable, The sensors after that cost £35 so for a month the cost will be £140 compared to around £100 for the Libre, They are selling the A6 model at the moment and are hopeful that the A7 ( 14 Days Contiunous ) will be on the market sometime later this year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-28-18-17-37.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-28-18-17-37.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 392

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@redditchdiabetic Very interesting, thank you for letting us know. Do you think you'll be able to restart sensors? This was the question they didn't answer for me.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If they can sell the A7 for £50 (or less) they better be ready for disgruntled Libre users jumping ship in their thousands!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @redditchdiabetic, The Medtrum updates every 2 minutes which sounds like an attractive idea when things are changing fast. How well does it work in practice? Sensors actually take many more readings than we see & then analyse the data. I was wondering if two minutes worth is enough for useful readings. My Dexcom will occasionally come up with an odd value (using 5 minutes of data) but then settle down with the next reading.
Any luck restarting a sensor?