1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Meet ups

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Nomi, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Nomi

Nomi · Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've seen posts about group meet ups with fellow diabetics and wondered if any were happening in the East Yorkshire area (or further afield)? Or if not, if anyone fancies starting one?

Just thought it would be nice to chat to a group of people who can share their experiences, diabetic or not, have a laugh and make some new friends :):cat:

Nomi

• Like Like x 2
  2. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @Nomi

I am based in the South Yorkshire area, and I think @smag3 and @michaela2015 are also Yorkshire-ish?

Would be great if something could be sorted out. I know there are meetups in London, but it is just a bit too far and too expensive for me to do on the train!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nomi

Nomi · Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree about the London ones! It would be great to start something this end:) we could easily meet somewhere central for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

That's where my Grandfather was born (Yorkshire) - and then the whole family immigrated to Canada. Love to visit some of those small Yorkshire towns one of these days. Good luck with your meetup. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nomi

Nomi · Well-Known Member

@fletchweb When you do, drop in and say hi! We can show you the sights :D

6. EllsKBells

@Nomi if you don't get much other interest, do drop me a PM!

7. nuttynay

nuttynay Type 2 · Member

Im from Derbyshire but i dont mind driving up to Yorkshire

• Like Like x 1
  8. smag3

smag3 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello! Yes I am in York. Would love a meet up. Don't drive. I did try and sort something out in York recently, but it would appear there are not many diabetics in York! Lets do this, happy to travel. By train or bus.

• Like Like x 1
  9. EllsKBells

I am in Sheffield, but don't have access to a car at present, so agree with somewhere that can be got to by train or bus! Also, possibly a silly question, but would a weekend or a weekday be easier? I know from my perspective, it is harder for me to get away during the week.

• Like Like x 1
  10. daleyrobinson

daleyrobinson · Member

Great idea. We have just started a meetup for keto and low carb discussions about diabetes management. We are a little further south though (M1 corridor J28). https://www.meetup.com/Keto-and-Low-Carb-Midlands/

I think Meetups are great. It sucks that people outside of London miss out on a lot! You should definitely start one, I bet there are loads of people who would be interested :)

11. Nomi

Nomi · Well-Known Member

How about Leeds? You should be able to get trains fairly easily from Sheffield and York if needed. Would that work for people?

12. Nomi

Nomi · Well-Known Member

13. Nomi

Nomi · Well-Known Member

Just to bump this again - we are meeting for lunch in Leeds this Saturday if anyone would like to come! The more the merrier :)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook