1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Memory Problems

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by KyleHeninger, Dec 26, 2017.

1. KyleHeninger

KyleHeninger · Member

My father who is a diabetic has had type 1 diabetes for over 28 years. His A1C levels are a little above normal (Low-Mid 7's).

Lately we have noticed that he has had memory issues regarding recent events. Nothing too significant like(Forgetting peoples names), however sometimes he has issues recalling what he watched on TV last night/specific details of recent events.

His blood sugar does fluctuate at times between high/low. Mind you he is only 52 years old. Should I be worried? Could this be caused by early onset alzheimer's or is it most likely associated with something else? There is no a prolonged history of alheimers in his family. He also does not get as much sleep at he should...

Any suggestions would be appreciated

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. bangkokdiabetic

bangkokdiabetic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am 77 and have had memory problems like you describe since my fifties e.g. walking into a room to get something and forgetting what it was my Diabetic nurse visited us in Bangkok and when I asked her if this was caused by diabetes she laughed and said it was just a normal part o ageing 20 odd years later it has not got noticeably worse,, Check with your doc or nurse but do not worry to much

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Statins can cause severe memory loss. See ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. KyleHeninger

KyleHeninger · Member

Thanks for the info, does anyone else have suggestions on what could be causing this?

5. yakudueye1

yakudueye1 Type 1 · Active Member

Reduce hypos as the brain functions well with sugar but if its kept juumping up and down is when it falls short as I have memory problems and am not oldyet I think it may be due to many hypos

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. KyleHeninger

KyleHeninger · Member

Gotcha, is this typical with T1D? Should we look at getting another opinion?

7. sweetbloodsher

sweetbloodsher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was recently warned by my endo that excessive lows can lead to early onset dementia. I have not found details regarding the studies, as far as the number of years involved before you develop dementia, or the severity of the lows. I'd like to know that.

8. KyleHeninger

KyleHeninger · Member

Any additional insight is welcome! Thanks

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook