Memory Problems

KyleHeninger

My father who is a diabetic has had type 1 diabetes for over 28 years. His A1C levels are a little above normal (Low-Mid 7's).

Lately we have noticed that he has had memory issues regarding recent events. Nothing too significant like(Forgetting peoples names), however sometimes he has issues recalling what he watched on TV last night/specific details of recent events.

His blood sugar does fluctuate at times between high/low. Mind you he is only 52 years old. Should I be worried? Could this be caused by early onset alzheimer's or is it most likely associated with something else? There is no a prolonged history of alheimers in his family. He also does not get as much sleep at he should...

Any suggestions would be appreciated

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 77 and have had memory problems like you describe since my fifties e.g. walking into a room to get something and forgetting what it was my Diabetic nurse visited us in Bangkok and when I asked her if this was caused by diabetes she laughed and said it was just a normal part o ageing 20 odd years later it has not got noticeably worse,, Check with your doc or nurse but do not worry to much

yakudueye1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sandwich and cold foods
Reduce hypos as the brain functions well with sugar but if its kept juumping up and down is when it falls short as I have memory problems and am not oldyet I think it may be due to many hypos

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
I was recently warned by my endo that excessive lows can lead to early onset dementia. I have not found details regarding the studies, as far as the number of years involved before you develop dementia, or the severity of the lows. I'd like to know that.