Mental health and diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I am currently studying at university and have had type 1 diabetes for 16 years. Since coming to uni I have no struggled with my diabetes but now I am struggling with the mental side of it, when I need a day off my placement bc of unstable blood sugars, I constantly feel guilty for taking time off, does anyone else feel like this?

• Hug
Reactions: Pipp and Lainie71

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Cookiemonster6 , sorry you are struggling. Have you made your university student support services aware of your difficulties? Also your placement supervisor? Don’t go unsupported, as if they are not aware your course marks could be downgraded for absence.

• Hug
Reactions: filly

soph9219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos, people
Hi, I’m sorry that you are feeling like this at the moment. Never feel guilty for getting some you-time, we all need a break sometimes. I’m currently in a burn out myself but I feel I am coming out of it now. The good news is that everything is temporary so you will not feel this way forever. Control is a nightmare sometimes, nothing shocks me with my diabetes any more. Hope that you feel better soon :)