Merformin Temporary Use

budhi76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have 6.1% hba1c and take metformin 500 mg immediate release due to just merely suggestion to maintain pancreas functionality in prediabetes, already taking three times but not in good schedule: Friday night, Sunday afternoon and Monday night.

Now I was scheduled to monitor blood sugar without medication. I plan stop it now, and want to ask how many days to wait dor metformin effect to stop and I am back on “not on medication” status?

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have 6.1% hba1c and take metformin 500 mg immediate release due to just merely suggestion to maintain pancreas functionality in prediabetes, already taking three times but not in good schedule: Friday night, Sunday afternoon and Monday night.

Now I was scheduled to monitor blood sugar without medication. I plan stop it now, and want to ask how many days to wait dor metformin effect to stop and I am back on “not on medication” status?
That's something you should really ask your doctor but according to Dr Google (aka drugs.com) it's 4 days

However other factors to consider include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.

budhi76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's something you should really ask your doctor but according to Dr Google (aka drugs.com) it's 4 days

However other factors to consider include:
1. How much and how often you have taken the drug.
2. Your metabolic rate – a slower metabolism will increase the time a drug remains in your system.
3. Your age and health – older age and poor health will generally increase the time the drug stays in your system.
4. Body mass – generally the bigger you are the longer a drug will remain in your system.

Thank you for the reference!