messy sites

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Does anyone else find that the infusion site gets "messy" when it comes to change?

The last three or four that i've removed have looked like there's blood all around the site around where the canula goes in, but the blood is under the skin, like a blood blister. I've not found that it's affected the insulin going in, but it just looks horrible for about a week after removal of the canula.

Im using the Inset II infusion sites.... but first had experienced it with an Inset30 on my bum!

Stu

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
The only problem I've had once or twice is a "gusher" when changing infusion set. I make a point to avoid the area for a few weeks and all is OK. Sometimes get a slight redness directly around the insertion point but nothing serious.

I know what you mean though, as I often see what you describe with the CGM sensors which have a much longer and larger gauge needle than my normal sets. I think the Inset comes in two sizes, so if you're not already using the 6mm needles maybe they're worth a go? Or try changing to a "slanted insertion" infusion set?

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have also had several gushers!!.
I did find that sites got a bit mucky when I was using quicksets leaving me with a round red mark which took several days to fade , also got a lot of bent cannulas. Now am using silhouettes and inserting them by hand as I found using the the inserter gives me bruises.
I find they only get mucky if I leave them in too long.

bonerp

i had a gusher last week. Hurt like hell when it went in so took it straight out and must've hit a capillary blood vessel or something! Its now blue and black!

scottishkate

I started my the pump last tuesday and when friday came along and I had to do my first ever set change what happens? Major gusher!! It was all rather traumatic really, blood everywhere... :roll:
Still feeling hatred for the pump and hoping that I'll learn to like, if not love, it...

Katie

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
hey,

Which infusion set are you using? You should be gushing everytime you change. Most of the time when i change it hardly leaves a mark! Just a little red after pealing off the sticky pad!

If you are gushing everytime, you might want to try a different type of infusion set. I use Inset II's and Inset 30's... I prefer the Inset II's though.

What pump are you using?