Meter Accuracy?

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reading these messages has helped me a lot with my sugar results, a friend of mine was having trouble with her results and was asked if she read a news paper just before she tested and she had, she was told the ink would make a difference. Reading LensT saying they wish their BG was 3.9 if mine is 3.9 I'm having a hypo. Thank you all for your comments its helped me a lot.

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am following the forum on behalf of my brother who has been Type 2 for a number of years and is overweight etc.
For some while he has been able to do his blood sugar test 4 times a day, and only rarely does he get an odd result. Until I advised him, he has rarely washed his hands. Now I have bought him anti septic wipes and sterile tissues to dry his fingers. [every time] I will keep you posted on the results.
On the issue of calibration, I did this recently and found the metered results within the range. Now here is an off the wall suggestion. I have normal blood conditions regularly confirmed by blood tests every 6 months requested by my doctor.
What would be anyone's comments if I do a blood sugar test on myself say two to three hours after eating? What should the values be? And then get my brother to test. Would this process be a way of eliminating the tester and the test method, as being the cause of the off track readings?
Probably best not to use any kind of wipe, but especially not those with alcohol in. The residue makes blood sugar readings completely inaccurate. If he can't wash his hands, just wipe them with a wet cloth, then dry thoroughly.

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Reading these messages has helped me a lot with my sugar results, a friend of mine was having trouble with her results and was asked if she read a news paper just before she tested and she had, she was told the ink would make a difference. Reading LensT saying they wish their BG was 3.9 if mine is 3.9 I'm having a hypo. Thank you all for your comments its helped me a lot.
Sorry I Put LensT instead of LinsT, I do apologies

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have just read in the paper that dogs can be trained to sniff out hypos in type 1, dos this mean I've got to now buy a dog and get rid of my meter?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just read in the paper that dogs can be trained to sniff out hypos in type 1, dos this mean I've got to now buy a dog and get rid of my meter?
Is your little avatar not a canine family member then??

Some dogs don't actually need any training - I know someone whose dog actually warned her about cancer by repeated sniffing at the affected area - he knew something was not right! And we had a thread a while back from some members whose dogs were untrained hypo detectors. They not only have super sensitive noses but they're often also very acute observers of their human's behaviour patterns.

Riobbity

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi I'm Cy
My readings are all over the place, they may start at 6.5 and end at 14.0 I think some times its what I've eaten? during the night or early morning I have a hypo this could be because from about 7pm onwards I don't have anything to eat. As I have said before LinsT if I'm 3.9 I am hypo.

cyril.rayner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Cy.
Thanks Robbity for your reply, the dog in the picture is my daughters and he has a mind of his own so I wouldn't trust him

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As I have said before LinsT if I'm 3.9 I am hypo.
Hi there Cy :)
I'm assuming you're Type 1, so yes I can see how a low reading would not be a good sign for you.
I'm a T2 on metformin, so I don't suffer from hypos. My levels generally run between 5 and 7 mmol/l. I do sometimes see higher readings in the morning - between 8 and 9 mmol/l. Ideally I'd like to see my levels running between 4 and 6 mmol/l - hence the comment about wishing 3.9 had been correct.

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually, I recently opened a new pack of test strips, and the odd readings seem to have stopped. So I'm wondering if I had an naff pack of test strips going on.