Meter and strips when traveling

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will soon be traveling overseas for 3 weeks - first time since diagnosis. The weather - at least in some places - is likely to be hot and humid.

Read on another thread that using a frio (I don't have one) might cause the strips/meter to get damp so am weighing up whether it will be OK to carry my meter and strips around in a bag/waist pouch so that I can test before and after every meal while out and about or whether to take fewer supplies, store them in my hotel room and test less often (thinking first thing and before and after dinner).

Any advice?

Thanks.

stellson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Travelled to extremely hot places many times, meter and strips are fine as long as contained within their tub however I always keep them in the shade as an extra precautionary measure when out and in a cool place when indoors. Not sure if you are on insulin but from experience beware as the heat causes the insulin in your body to work faster which can result in hypos....enjoy your trip

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Travelled to extremely hot places many times, meter and strips are fine as long as contained within their tub however I always keep them in the shade as an extra precautionary measure when out and in a cool place when indoors. Not sure if you are on insulin but from experience beware as the heat causes the insulin in your body to work faster which can result in hypos....enjoy your trip

Thanks. No, not on insulin. Just the meter and strips.

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Take a spare pot to carry around a few strips for the day and keep the rest in the hotel. Have a good holiday.

Reactions: Goonergal
D

Deleted member 308541

It says on my Freestyle Lite strip tub store below 30° Celsius, so your strips will probably be the same.

Keep them in the tub with your meter inside of your bags while moving around and you will be ok. I have driven around a fair bit of Australia with them in a overnight bag in the back our car.

Reactions: Goonergal