Meter readings versus blood test/lab reading?

Lucozade

Hi

Anyone have any info on how closely/accurately the glucose meters actually reflect the real values in terms of blood glucose, compared to lab results?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I had an Hb1Ac test done a couple of weeks ago. I had been testing for 4 weeks before the test. I had also started on a new meds and eating less carbs.
My meter told me my previous 4 weeks averaged 6.4, my Hb1Ac came back as 6.5 :mrgreen:

Lucozade

cocacola said:
I had an Hb1Ac test done a couple of weeks ago. I had been testing for 4 weeks before the test. I had also started on a new meds and eating less carbs.
My meter told me my previous 4 weeks averaged 6.4, my Hb1Ac came back as 6.5 :mrgreen:

Good work! Which meter is that?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My meter told me my previous 4 weeks averaged 6.4, my Hb1Ac came back as 6.5

That's a good result so soon on but meter averages and HbA1c aren't the same thing and reflect glucose levels in the previous 3 months (though have some bias towards recent weeks)
The equivalent of 6.5 % Hb A1c is 7.8 mmol/l estimated average blood glucose.
see http://professional.diabetes.org/GlucoseCalculator.aspx for calculator based upon recent research and for explanation of HbA1c,
http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/what_is_the_hba1c.htm

Meters are allowed to be out by up to 20% compared with lab tests (10% each way). Most seem to be a bit more accurate than that. Temperature, altitude and of course clean fingers can also affect the result. They are more inaccurate at very low and very high levels.
I used to use an accuchek and now use a one touch, when I got the new one I did some side by side testing and found that they gave reasonably comparable results . I'm sure that all of us who test frequently have got the odd result that seems way out of line and then done a second test with a very different result.