Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Ha ha,;) I use 7 meters at the moment.
I habitually deploy 5 or 6 at any testing episode. I know how you feel:banghead:
Re being willing to pay more, my position is that, I pay enough as it is. I am not willing to pay anymore than what I do at the moment, which when all is considered is quite paltry. This is because I hunt for and purchase all my testing supplies from eBay most of the time.

Having read surveys etc, I have now decided to keep and use just 2 BG meters only for my testing
viz the freestyle Optium Neo and the Accu-Check Performa Nano.
I have the Glucomen lx2, it consistently gives a very high reading, being as I am practically obsessed with having a normal BG level, testing with that meter has meant for a lot of frustration, and needless angst.

As for my Ketone testing, I grudgingly will keep using the Glucomen Lx2 and the Freestyle optium
The freestyle optium ketone strips are not that easy to find at the price point I want. Whereas the Glucomen ketone strips are always available at the price point I want.
The careSens ketone strips never come up on eBay so that rules it out as a contender:dead:

Hello Brassyblonde 900
I’m in UK. I get my test kit free but the Docters Clinic will not provide expensive ones (NHS cut backs).
I’m using Contour Next USB. It’s neat small 4 1/2 x about 1inch.
I charge it by taking the end bit off and there’s the USB to plug in USB charger mains.
It has a screen lights up blue with three buttons to navigate your test
And the test strip goes in the other end.
So easy to take out with pot of strips and a stabler.
Some on the market are so complicated.
There’s a manual explaining how to plug in into your laptop and upload stuff.
But I can’t be bothered lol.
I’d be interested to know if my tester goes high as my sugars have been in the 15-20 mmol. It’s so hard to get it down.
Every month the hospital increases my insulin.
Any advice will be gratefully accepted.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Just saw the £95 for the meter too!
Hello.
I’m in the UK am I right in thinking most people here are in lovely USA ?
I’ve had test kits posted from company’s for free.
And sometimes us older folk can get them free from Doctors surgery or hospital.
Try asking a company for a free be and you’ll test it for them ??
I think is awful you don’t a NHS over there
Happyhippy

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello.
I’m in the UK am I right in thinking most people here are in lovely USA ?
I’ve had test kits posted from company’s for free.
And sometimes us older folk can get them free from Doctors surgery or hospital.
Try asking a company for a free be and you’ll test it for them ??
I think is awful you don’t a NHS over there
Happyhippy
No most of us are UK based although we have do people from all over the world.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Last year my surgery near Cardiff made everyone change onto the Accu-chek performa as they were less than £10 for 50, thats a 2 month script. I did object as I use a Contour next which plugs into my computer to record info and charge.
I have been a T1 for over 62 years and as I drive we are supposed to check blood levels before we start etc. I find 50 strips do not last me 2 months.
I did buy a box of extra strips last year they were £44.00 as a pensioner thats a 1/10 of my pension

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football

Hello CHICKY53
Yes I was offered same. But I said my Contour next usb was easier for me to hold as I’ve some Arthritis in my hands )thumbs mainly)
The practice manager said the strips are about the same price so that was ok!
I keep it with a pot of strips and an old favourite stabbed in a small makeup/ purse.
Fits in my jeans back pocket lol.
I find if you chat to them and explain why something is better for you it helps.
Good luck
Happyhippy x

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Last year my surgery near Cardiff made everyone change onto the Accu-chek performa as they were less than £10 for 50, thats a 2 month script. I did object as I use a Contour next which plugs into my computer to record info and charge.
I have been a T1 for over 62 years and as I drive we are supposed to check blood levels before we start etc. I find 50 strips do not last me 2 months.
I did buy a box of extra strips last year they were £44.00 as a pensioner thats a 1/10 of my pension

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hello CHICKY53
Yes I was offered same. But I said my Contour next usb was easier for me to hold as I’ve some Arthritis in my hands )thumbs mainly)
The practice manager said the strips are about the same price so that was ok!
I keep it with a pot of strips and an old favourite stabbed in a small makeup/ purse.
Fits in my jeans back pocket lol.
I find if you chat to them and explain why something is better for you it helps.
Good luck
Happyhippy x

Ps why do you pay for strips. I’m 62 and live In Bedfordshire and I get free prescriptions. X

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello Brassyblonde 900
I’m in UK. I get my test kit free but the Docters Clinic will not provide expensive ones (NHS cut backs).
I’m using Contour Next USB. It’s neat small 4 1/2 x about 1inch.
I charge it by taking the end bit off and there’s the USB to plug in USB charger mains.
It has a screen lights up blue with three buttons to navigate your test
And the test strip goes in the other end.
So easy to take out with pot of strips and a stabler.
Some on the market are so complicated.
There’s a manual explaining how to plug in into your laptop and upload stuff.
But I can’t be bothered lol.
I’d be interested to know if my tester goes high as my sugars have been in the 15-20 mmol. It’s so hard to get it down.
Every month the hospital increases my insulin.
Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
Hello Happy Hippy,
I wish I could help, unfortunately your meter is not one of the ones I happen to have/use.
A lot of people on the forum have suggested, taking a 'suspect' meter with you on your next appointment, and doing a test there and then with your meter on the same blood drop, and comparing the results you get at the Dr's.
A High reading meter is extremely demoralising. I used a demon meter for almost a year, until a kind wise forum member here likened my affinity to that torture, to something akin to loving an undesirable man, hoping he would change. I then saw the light.

I wish I could be of more help, I know how dispiriting a high reading meter makes one feel. Especially if you are very strict about your readings and want very tight control.

Reactions: BloodThirsty

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps why do you pay for strips. I’m 62 and live In Bedfordshire and I get free prescriptions. X
I live in Somerset and, like many others, can’t get them on prescription. I think it’s a lottery which most diet controlled T2s lose.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow that is quite pricey for a box of accucheck performa nano strips.
I buy mine on eBay. They work out between £5.43 and £5.80 for 50 strips depending on the quantity I buy at the time.
Right now the seller I buy from has some listed, and you can get 400strips for £43.49
I am extremely happy with both the seller's service and the strips I have been getting from him.

BloodThirsty

I live in Somerset and, like many others, can’t get them on prescription. I think it’s a lottery which most diet controlled T2s lose.
Yes, and it's **** short-sightedness, particularly as a meter is an excellent motivator when one is solely diet controlled.

I likewise couldn't get test strips, but until I nailed the ketone diet my DN was quite forceful attempting to coerce me into metformin and statins.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN still tries to get me to take statins at every review but I always refuse her offer.