Meters - what am I entitled to?

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I need a new meter. I am partially sighted, so I really need one with a clear large display. I did research and liked Accuchek Instant and asked my DSzN. She s aid they could only suggest ones from 'the list" .

Gluco Fix GK Tech. Anyone recommend?

I explained toThe nurse at my GP surgery that what I need might not be whar they say and she said they would honour it. Not sure if she meant what I want or what they say. I have ordered one but what do I do if it really is no better? Who has the final say, the GP or the diabetic team?

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The GK Tech is one with a large screen and every test strip only needs a small amount of blood and it also uses ketone strips so you will get a good advantage from one meter as Accuchek are going backwards as I know because I had a few of their meters before I got the GK TECH meter and it's a good difference between the old and new and the gluco fix is a better lacing device to use as you don't feel the lancet hitting your finger and you can get blood easier from them but I only use mine for when I have to test because I use a freestyle Libre 2 sensor on my arm and I only test when my sugars are low and that's the only meter I use plus it allows me to test my ketones in my blood if my sugars are high and need testing for them and the one who has a saying is the NHS because it's them who foot the bill for the test strips and Lancet's for you when you need them as Accuchek will be to expensive and not worth the money over the long term

Reactions: DiabeticDi
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your Gp has the final say regarding bg meters because you'll get testing strips from them on prescription. You don't have to buy yourself as its part of your medication that's needed to keep you alive. Ask your surgery if they can supply a caresense duo it has large numbers and no calibration is needed. You get ketone stick as well as bg sticks. Also you may be able to get a cgm sensor and a pump, since they've started rolling out the 'artificial pancreas Nice have stated that everyone that's type 1 will be able to get a pump and dependant on circumstance those who fit the criteria can get the artificial pancreas straight away and those that don't will get one at a later date.

Reactions: DiabeticDi

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Your Gp has the final say regarding bg meters because you'll get testing strips from them on prescription. You don't have to buy yourself as its part of your medication that's needed to keep you alive. Ask your surgery if they can supply a caresense duo it has large numbers and no calibration is needed. You get ketone stick as well as bg sticks. Also you may be able to get a cgm sensor and a pump, since they've started rolling out the 'artificial pancreas Nice have stated that everyone that's type 1 will be able to get a pump and dependant on circumstance those who fit the criteria can get the artificial pancreas straight away and those that don't will get one at a later date.
Thank you. I will try asking for the Caresens and see where I get DSN has suggested Gluco Fix Tech GK which I have ordered and will definitely try.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also you may be able to get a cgm sensor and a pump, since they've started rolling out the 'artificial pancreas Nice have stated that everyone that's type 1 will be able to get a pump and dependant on circumstance those who fit the criteria can get the artificial pancreas straight away and those that don't will get one at a later date.
I am not confident that everyone who fits the criteria will get HCL straight away.
Who would fund that when there is no magic money tree?
I know my clinic took more than 6 months to fund Libre for those who fit the criteria when they were first rolled out.