1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin and burning tongue

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by Cyclospora, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Cyclospora

Cyclospora Type 2 · Member

I've been diet controlled for 9 years now but at the end of 2018 I had a HbA1C of 69, was put on metformin but stopped after a day or two of bowel side effects as I was going on holiday. So instead made a huge effort with walking on hol and low carb (easy on a cruise!) And did not go back onto metformin. After 3 months my level was 43. Delighted. But now I've gradually fallen off the wagon and level is now 70. I've already sorted my diet out and have lost 8lb since Christmas but my DN has advised me to go on Metformin again. Fair enough I said I would try it again.

I took one earlier after tea but noticed that my tongue and side of my throat burned. Has anyone had this? Not sure if its an allergic reaction or irritation of the tablet.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook