Metformin and carb intake

crazymom

I have been perscribed 500mg once a day metformin hydrocloride. Years ago I was on metformin as part of a trial for women with polycystic ovary syndrome, I was only allowed 40 g carbs a day. I lost weight but had no enegry and my muscles ached all the time, oh and if i went over the 40 g of carbs I would have Diarrhoes!

So, obviously this time round Metformin is to control my glucose levels. So how many carbs should i be consuming in one day? or an approx figure.

I want to have enough enegry to train and lose weight (approx 5.5 stone to lose) :shock:

Thanks in advance

Defren

As far as I am aware, there is no set amount of carbs you need to have with Metformin. I am 40g a day or less, others are much higher. As far as I am concerned, your carb levels will be dictated by how much pancreatic function you have. If like me, you have very little you will need to have low carbs, if your pancreas is not so bad, then you will tolerate more. I have never ever had tummy trouble with Metformin and I am on the bog standard ones 500mg twice a day. I did however suffer from a decimated appetite when I first started them, but that is long gone, and I am fine now. I have also lost 90 pounds in weight since March.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I eat zero or near it carbs most days. I take 2 x 500mg Metformin per day
I find trhe Met controls any untoward gluconeogenesis.
As I've written hundreds of times. There is NO requirement or dietary carbohydrates [Ig nore that guff by Dean Ornish. There's no proper evidence.
Hana

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I eat around 60g of carbs / day and take 3 x 500mg Metformin. However that's the real point of getting a meter as it will tell you where your safe level is. You do not need to eat carbs with Metformin and like many other people say I don't think there is any requirement to eat carbohydrates at all if you don't wont to.

Once you find your safe level the rest is a life style choice. You may, like many people on the forum, actually cut out more carbs than you actually need to simply because you find the new low carb regime to be more to your taste or liking or end up more like me and choose a level that keeps your blood levels in a range you feel comfortable with. A good place to start is halving your current carb intake as that will probably put you at around 120g / day and then work from there.