1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin and fasting

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by specialk, Apr 29, 2016.

1. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Dr Jason Fung advises not expect any adverse symptoms even in the absence of a gall bladder Romeran

2. Finsky

Finsky Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

I like to hear that you are open to new ideas :) It may be that it is not for you...but you don't know if you don't at least try.
    What many of us have experienced with so called 'health professionals'..nurses/doctors...many of them are not very positive and against anything that goes against NHS guide lines..:rolleyes: By all means, it is good to have your chat with your DN, I'm only saying that so you are not facing dissapointing surprise if you should get 'funny' reaction from her..we've heard all sorts of reactions from our 'experts' happening before. But end of the day they cannot rule what you can and cannot do..remember it is your body!
    Have a chat..weight all the facts and make independent decision based to your own thoughts. If you do decide to have ago reducing carbs..we are here for you to give you lots of advice and food tips. Those changes doesn't have to be drastic...just little change here and there to get you used to it all and see what effect it has to your blood sugars..slowly slowly approach is always the best and safest way of doing it and easing your body to slightly different way of eating;)

#22 Finsky, May 7, 2016 at 8:58 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2016
  3. Living-by-the-beach

Living-by-the-beach Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4. KevinPotts

KevinPotts Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Living-by-the-beach

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

5. specialk

specialk Type 2 · Active Member

Thank you. Very useful and you have helped me understand why fasting will help.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

6. MikePea

MikePea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take one Metformin 500 mcg after breakfast and one after lunch. It works for me. On a personal LC diet. Not fat free.:D

• Like Like x 4
  7. specialk

Do you take stations?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

8. specialk

9. specialk

Look at dietdoctor.com. great video about diabetes and LowcarbHighfat way of eating. It's worked for me. From very high readings down to just one point inside prediabetic range in 6 months.

10. KEITHMARKS

KEITHMARKS · Newbie

I too am following Jason Fung Obesity Code fasting diet. Completed one week, alternate fast days, and now had 10days no carbs, higher fat, my blood sugars coming down in day, but mornings still quite high. Only taking slow release metformin on fasting days when I eat, so some days only take one tablet. I am not overweight, just using the diet to correct sugar levels

11. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Welcome @KEITHMARKS You will find that for many folk, the first reading of the day is the last to fall into line. This is probably due to Dawn Phenomenon, or "liver dump" a quite natural event

12. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Whenever I see mention of LCHF I ask what's low and what's high. More importantly, like you, spent years on low fat and struggled to cope with more fat. In my case it turns out that my body no longer processes fat very well and increasing it causes all sorts of problems. My daily fat intake is under 50 gms against an RDA of 80gms. The following might be useful reference.

Recommended Daily Fat Intake
    Total calories per day Saturated fat in grams Total fat in grams
    1,600 18 or less 53
    2,000 20 or less 65
    2,200 24 or less 73
    2,500 25 or less 80

I don't rate my chances of that lot staying lined up. LOL

13. Scrubbit

Scrubbit · Newbie

14. Scrubbit

Scrubbit · Newbie

I never used to eat breakfast or lunch, but found that once I was working full time, with an 8am start, by 10am I started to feel very muddled and wobbly. This was long before being diagnosed with diabetes, once I began eating a high fibre cereal for breakfast I was able to function much better at work.

Also, not eating regular meals does make it harder to resist the temptation to graze on high carb or high sugar snacks. I have fallen off the healthy eating wagon big style, hence coming to look at this forum. That comes from other factors, but when I was first diagnosed about 3 years ago, I cut sugar out straight away, reduced the carbs and lost 2 stone without even trying. If the differents diets work for you fantastic, well done for having that self discipline, (I hope that doesn't sound patronising because I really mean it). But if you are like me and struggle to follow these different eating regimes, don't feel that you are somehow failing. You are not, you can still lose the weight and feel better by just following a sensible eating regime and being a little more active.

15. Living-by-the-beach

I've found this video about losing insulin resistance from Dr. Annette Boswell important to me.

Instead of eating in the evenings I try and drink just green tea from about 4pm onwards and give my body a chance to lower my weight over the longer haul.. So I eat a good meal in the mornings a late lunch and very lightly eat in the evenings. I'm down 18lbs in 5 months. & down 42lbs from original diagnosis weight of T2DM of 252lbs back in 2014.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Living-by-the-beach

Have you read any of Dr Jason Fung's work or any of his books?

Complete Guide To Fasting (Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting) available from Amazon

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook