Metformin and Lactic Acidosis

carina62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
miserable weather, rude and bad mannered people
I know this sounds strange but it was only the other night that I actually read the leaflet which comes with my Metformin tablets and it was pretty scary stuff to read. I was admitted to hospital last Saturday as my lactate levels in my blood were higher than they should have been (after severe sickness and diarohea). It mentions this in the leaflet so now am quite worried if it's done any damage. I've made an appointment to speak to my GP about this but had no idea what was going on in my body at the time. Has anyone else had a problem with Lactic acidosis while on metformin?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this sounds strange but it was only the other night that I actually read the leaflet which comes with my Metformin tablets and it was pretty scary stuff to read. I was admitted to hospital last Saturday as my lactate levels in my blood were higher than they should have been (after severe sickness and diarohea). It mentions this in the leaflet so now am quite worried if it's done any damage. I've made an appointment to speak to my GP about this but had no idea what was going on in my body at the time. Has anyone else had a problem with Lactic acidosis while on metformin?

I know @andcol had issues, which I think were lactic acidosis, but I'm hoping he might be able to drop by and confirm for you.

It is rare, I'm pleased to say.

Rachyboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Carina62, I've just joined this site but have had diabetes type 2 nearly 6 years. From the beginning I started on metformin and gliclazide. Had no problems and my blood sugar levels were good. November 2015 I began feeling poorly and gradually more and more ill. It lasted over a week. Vomiting was the main symptom. I also had headaches and very bad stomach ache. A bit drowsy, dizzy. Couldn't keep water down. I actually had a Doctors appointment for something else and I nearly didn't go because I felt dreadful. She did emergency bloods and I had to do a urine sample (but I had to go back down with that) After I'd taken it back down and come home again she phoned me and said she had written a letter and I was to go to A + E immediately. She thought it could be DKA. So feeling absolutely awful I made it to hospital. Sitting waiting people kept going in before me that had come in after me. I nearly walked out and said to the receptionist that I couldn't sit there much longer. Anyway I was finally called in, had allsorts of tests, put on a drip etc and was told I would have to be admitted. I have NEVER felt so ill. The following day I saw a Consultant who told me I had Lactic Acidosis likely from being on Metformin. I myself had missed that on the leaflet and it is very rare. I think 1 in 30,000 people have it. I had to stop the metformin. It did take me a week or two to recover. I saw my diabetic nurse and she told me that in her 16 years of being a diabetic nurse she had never had a case. I was off metformin for a while and my blood sugar levels were all over the place. But my diabetic nurse put me back on metformin, I think summer of last year. I was having symptoms again so I was advised to reduce it, stop it. I was very worried it was lactic acidosis again. But, now everything is going ok. ( she did say the chance of getting it again was very low) Touchwood all is ok. ( sorry for the long post!!)