Metformin and Risk of Vitamin B12 Deficiency

Ajax

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
'Can the Metformin SR cause my B12 Deficiency' ..?

According to the Patient Information Leaflet included in my Metformin package ..the probability is ✻1 in 10,000 people✻

Nevertheless, I take ✻Vitamin B Complex✻ supplements ..which I buy from a high street chain of chemists.

I guess I might be benefiting the manufacturer's profits by buying something I probably don't need though.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
'Can the Metformin SR cause my B12 Deficiency' ..?

According to the Patient Information Leaflet included in my Metformin package ..the probability is ✻1 in 10,000 people✻

Nevertheless, I take ✻Vitamin B Complex✻ supplements ..which I buy from a high street chain of chemists.

I guess I might be benefiting the manufacturer's profits by buying something I probably don't need though.
It is relatively difficult to overdose B12 but B6 you need to be careful with too high amounts of supplements can be harmful.

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MY deficiency is now Folic Acid not B12 i was told it was b12 been to see the doctor he said the receptionist should not have told me it was A B12 def

Thanks for your reply your right about needing the meds when i go high, So the doctor lets me ring up when i need the insulin and they are there the next day at the chemist, The metformin 1000mg SR do not give me the diarrhoea thank god? i was hoping to find a link to my deficeincy the doctor gave me them to help me get off the insulin. Someone mentioned don't the doctor listen to you well in a way no i am on supplements for the folic acid deficiency but something else as happened i have psoriasis on my hands and after taking folic acid 5mg tablets my psoriasis is clearing up ?? gone have all the split fingers the plaques have gone and i have only been on the folic acid tablets for 1 week and 3 weeks to go i have explained and showed my hands to the doctor but he said when the 28days are up i won't get any more ?????? BUT THEY ARE HELPING MY PSORIASIS????
So can metformin lower your folic acid def ????

Maybe Thanks for sharing after starting metformin I have started having ezcema so now Think I'll try taking more folic acid as a try

By the way folic acid can be bought in a supermarket most places most pregnant women eat it , on the other hand you can also get it from liver and green leaves like salat and spinach . If you eat liver it is really Rich in folic acid

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe Thanks for sharing after starting metformin I have started having ezcema so now Think I'll try taking more folic acid as a try

By the way folic acid can be bought in a supermarket most places most pregnant women eat it , on the other hand you can also get it from liver and green leaves like salat and spinach . If you eat liver it is really Rich in folic acid
Apparently not everybody has the genetics that allow conversion of folic acid to bioavailable folate. You're better off increasing it from diet or buying a more expensive supplement (folinic acid or methylfolate).

Last edited:

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
There are loads of possible side effects other than a bad stomach with Metformin.I was told i had type 2 diabetes in 2015.Although i had it for 6 years without tellin me about it.Anyway the doctor sent me away with a prescription for Metformin. I went to Boots the chemist in york.The pharmacist told me that you will have a gippy stomach for 2 weeks after taking them.I thought i'm not taking that ****.I felt fine at the time.Later that month i went to the Philipinnes for 8 months.I started getting hot aches and stabbing pains in my legs below the knees in bed at night.,so i bought some Metformin .at the the local pharmacy[you can buy most medications over the counter without a prescription].I read the information leaflet There was a list of possible side effects as long as your arm.some sounding quite serious.then at the bottom of the leaflet,it said this medicine will not prevent complications.I started taking 2 tablets a day. about 2 weeks later i notice that the right hand side of my right leg went weak .I could not climb up the slightest step ,there was no strength there.In fact we were in town crossing the road ,i tried to step up onto the footpath.there was no strength there.I was about to fall backwards into the the road .My girl friend grabbed me stopping me falling into the path of an approaching jepney she certainly saved me from serious injury or death.The back of my left leg went weak.A few week later, i started getting severe back pains on th the right hand side.I stopped taking the Metformin.Within 24 hours the pain went completely. but i was still left with a duff right leg .i had to climb steps and stairs one legged with my left leg which i have arthritis in the hip.what a state.It did not end there.I developed a collapsing right knee.It would buckle without warning' i lost count of how many time i ended up on the deck.all becanse of metformin.It has now cleared up .when i got back to the UK.September last year my legs were that weak I had to to get a taxi back home from Manchester airport to York .very expensive.I was frightend to go out of the house,for fear of falling.Thing have improved a bit 6 months ago i went on a 24 hour fasting diet .I lost 3st in weight reduced my blood sugar fasting readings from between 10.8 mml/l and 16mml/l to between 4.0 mml/l to 5.8 mml/l.I have totally reversed my diabetes.i can now eat what i like without adverse effects i have got feeling back in my feet and toes my leg ulcers have healed up no more hot sweats or going dizzy when out and about no more peeing 13 or 14 times in the night.no more falling asleep all the time .I feel very much better i have got my feeling of well being back.Metformin may be ok for some people ,but certainly not for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: rosalindp