Metformin and type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there! First proper post, but made a few comments here and there...
I’ll keep it brief, and if you need any more info please ask :)
I’ve been taking metformin for a few months now, and I’m just wondering if I’m taking it correctly? Is there a right way to take it?
My DNS wanted me to take 2x500mg in the morn and 2x500mg in the evening, I can only tolerate 1 in the morn and 1 in the evening though...
Is there a way to take it to maximise the effect of it? Directly before a jab? Or straight away on rising an hour or so before I eat?
I’ve been getting what seems to be a lot of insulin resistance these days, alongside dawn phenomenon... I can wake up and jab 7+ units of novorapid without eating, just to get back down!
Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Chris

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most people get the least side effect if they take Metformin with food, as Metformin remains in our body for a long time, there is no need to time doses related to insulin etc. The "right" way to take it is the way that limits the side effects for you. There is a slow release version that your DNS could prescribe that some people find gives them fewer side effects.

Have you considered reducing the amount of carbs/sugar you eat, as that is a good way to reduce insulin resistance?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people get the least side effect if they take Metformin with food, as Metformin remains in our body for a long time, there is no need to time doses related to insulin etc. The "right" way to take it is the way that limits the side effects for you. There is a slow release version that your DNS could prescribe that some people find gives them fewer side effects.

Have you considered reducing the amount of carbs/sugar you eat, as that is a good way to reduce insulin resistance?

Thanks for the reply!! It’s not so much trying to minimise the side effects anymore ( i can tolerate my two daily pills on an empty stomach, stepping it up seems to trigger it off though).
I’m more trying to find out when is the best time to take it to maximise the effect it will have on my (lack of) insulin sensitivity...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Timeing does not cheange the effect metaformin has on insulin senisitivity has has has such a long half life. I expect if you take it will meals you will be able to step up your dose.

Reactions: bradley_smasher