Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sanober said:
I was thinking of asking for Metaformin but the side affects sound horrid.

No harm in asking Sanober, I believe in America Metformin is more routinely prescribed to type 1 diabetics.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sanober said:
I was thinking of asking for Metaformin but the side affects sound horrid.

I have type1 and I've been on slow-release metformin for quite a few years now because of insulin resistance. I would urge you not to worry too much about the side effects as it may be that you won't get any at all and if it helps with managing your diabetes it may be worth it. The only side effects I got were a slightly upset stomach for the first couple of weeks after starting it and then no other problems.

Elc1112

Hi all,

I am on the slow release version. I think I've jut been really unlucky with the side effects! I was on the lowest possible dosage. Saw the doctor earlier this week and she has taken me off the tablets. As I said, I think I was just unlucky with it.

I was put on metformin as the doctor felt I was using too much insulin. I've never noticed any problems with insulin sensitivity, but I was told that the metformin could help me reduce my insulin requirements and, as a result, make it easier to control my weight. My weight is within the target BMI range, but I did I put on pounds very easy if I'm not careful. I also have PCOS and metformin can be used to treat some of the symptoms of this.

I took the tablets for just over five weeks. I was still being very sick with them and have had a near constant headache since I started. There are loads of people who swear by metformin do, as I said, I have just been unlucky. No other medications have been prescribed. Tw doctor wants me to have a few weeks with no metformin to see if the symptoms imprOve and then go from there.

Em

heypapatooni

Please stick with it! I had the same side effects a couple of years ago, severe headaches & nausea, everyday! It did help me loose weight as I wasn't feeling hungry! lasted a few months I guess, but eventually wore off, on the plus side I have now lost over 5 stones in weight! I now take 2x 500mg twice a day and a total of 30 units of insulin (I was on over 100!!) Life was grim for a while, but now they work great, I tend to stay away from the alcohol though, the hypos next day aren't worth it! My life is so much better, I'm so happy! :p

Elc1112

I'm not sure I could cope with another couple of months of feeling that ill! My BMI is 20, so I don't have weight that I have to lose. They have said for years that they thought I was taking too much insulin. Although I am prone to putting weight on if I'm not careful, I've managed to stay within the target BMI range.

Anyway, the doctor told me to come off an I feel so much better for it. Would have been nice if it worked, but never mind.

Well done on your weight loss by the way! Sounds like you have done really well! Have you got more to lose, or are you now where you want to be?

As for staying away from the alcohol, I'm not sure I could! I don't drink excessively, but I do like a cheeky glass of wine every now and then. In fact, I regularly get one of my five a day from Ernst and Gallo! ;)

Rachyboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this was posted ages ago but I don't drink a drop of alcohol and I had lactic Acidosis :meh:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic for 35 plus years and have been on Metformin for at least 10 years. Probably a fairly large doage as well, 2 x500mg in morning and same again at night, so 2000mg per day

Not sure if this is to help insulin resisitance or not or help with my weight, but neither seems to be working. I have remained same weight, slightly overweight for past 5 years or so, despite only eating around 1800 calories per day. I also find that my insulin dosages have increased where I am now taking around 48 units of Humalog per day as well as 45 units of Levemir, and still my control is not brilliant