Metformin and weight

086teresa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was diagnosed last year and prescribed metformin a few weeks ago. I've found that my bloods have been fairly good but even though I've been eating healthy and exercising I'm not loosing weight. In fact my tummy always seems to be bloated and uncomfortable. Also I'm a bit ocd and I'm developing an obsession and terror I'm going to loose my feet. I'm really struggling to come to terms with it all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome! :)

Diagnosis is always a shock, and it takes a long time to get your head around it.

A couple of questions, if I may?

What are you eating as your healthy diet? There are a lot of different ideas about what diets are healthy, from veganism, to meat only, to the NHS healthy plate idea, so could you give a bit more detail?

And secondly, have you got a blood glucose meter, so that you can test your own blood sugar levels?
Some people find this stressful, but I find it incredibly reassuring. After all, if I know that I have my blood glucose under control, then I know that my chances of loosing my feet through diabetic complications is miniscule. Whereas, if I don't know what my blood glucose levels are, then they could be high enough to be setting myself up for complications in the future... see what I mean?
:)

086teresa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome! :)

Diagnosis is always a shock, and it takes a long time to get your head around it.

A couple of questions, if I may?

What are you eating as your healthy diet? There are a lot of different ideas about what diets are healthy, from veganism, to meat only, to the NHS healthy plate idea, so could you give a bit more detail?

And secondly, have you got a blood glucose meter, so that you can test your own blood sugar levels?
Some people find this stressful, but I find it incredibly reassuring. After all, if I know that I have my blood glucose under control, then I know that my chances of loosing my feet through diabetic complications is miniscule. Whereas, if I don't know what my blood glucose levels are, then they could be high enough to be setting myself up for complications in the future... see what I mean?
:)
Hi and thank you!

I do have a meter and apart from a couple of readings mine have all been in range.
I'm trying to watch my carbs and sugar intake but have to admit I find cutting out sugar easier than carbs. Also watching my portion sizes and picking in between meals.
I'm definitely very stressed at the minute and feel that's not helping. I'm trying to cope with this along with elderly parents being ill. I seem to worry all the time and because I'm coping my children seem to think oh it's just diabetes and carrying on regardless. I am such a whinge bag sorry!