1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Metformin causing anxiety

Discussion in 'Metformin/Biguanides' started by george895, Aug 6, 2016.

1. george895

george895 Type 2 · Member

I recently went back on Metformin only to have to come back of it again a couple of weeks later after having very bad anxiety attacks. Has anybody else suffered anxiety attacks?

2. Sirmione

Sirmione Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have never heard of it but...... from your profile I see you carrying other health issues I think sometimes the stress and worry just builds up.

3. Fairy_Nuff

Fairy_Nuff Type 2 · Newbie

Yes, I've suffered from serious anxiety when on 2000mg of Metformin. The dose was halved due to it causing stomach issues, and my anxiety disappeared too. It took me a few weeks to spot the link.

4. Jay-Marc

Jay-Marc Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is a documented potential side effect of Metformin as are other mood swinging effects - much rarer than the well-known gastric issues but possible nonetheless.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook