Metformin for high blood sugar and yeast

Hendie

Hi, a bit of background information regarding myself. Im 24 and been having health problems since around the age of 18, im on thyroid/adrenal meds which have pretty much subsided ALOT of my symptoms but the remaining symptoms wich i have left point towards diabetes... always thirsy, always peeing, blurred vission sometimes, hunger alot, un able to gain weight, and constant yeast infections.

Some readings which i have done on my home testing kit are

Fasting glucose 1 hour after awake 5.7 mm/ol
1 hour after eating some chips 9.4 mm/ol
bed 7.4 mm/ol

I am awaiting my hbA1c results back any day soon BUT i am already on a 0 sugar and very limited carb diet due to having yeast problems, so my hba1c mite be inside the range, were as if i were on a high sugar diet my hca1c would probably be alot higher, or am i completely wrong here ?

Do my blood glucose results look high enough to start metformin regardless of my hba1c ?

Thanks for any replies!

hallii

Welcome here.

You might be "jumping the gun" a bit. Yes some of your blood sugars are a bit high, and yes eating sugar (or any other high carbohydrate food) will raise blood sugars in both "normal" and diabetics, but diabetics will have a much bigger rise than a non diabetic.

But, you really need to get a diagnosis from your doctor, there atre tests he/she can do one of which is a glucose tolerance test and he/she will make a diagnosis based on test results and other factors.

So I would wait until you get a diagnosis, keep watching what you eat, not to much carbohydrate and see how things go. When you have got a diagnosis come and ask as many questions as you like.

H

Hendie

Oky thank you for the reply. I will ask for a GTT once i get my hba1c test results back. Im just a little worried and undereducated in the diabetes scence, that i do not want to happen with what happened to my thyroid.

That was that i had to take matters into my own hands when my thyroid results came back "normal" yet i showed so many syptoms a my local gp could not help me.

So this time around i want to ask as many questions as possible to try and understand everything :)

hallii

Being pro-active is important in diabetes as in many other medical conditions and you are doing the right thing in doing the research and being prepared to manage your condition if diagnosed T2.

With regard to this you do need to keep an eye on things, high blood sugars can be damaging, but 9.4 after chips is a bit on the high side so don't eat so many or cut them out entirely :D

There is some excellent advice on here regarding diet and excercise, and whether you are or are not T2 it is worth reading.

Let us know when you get your results/diagnosis, and in the meantime it can do no harm to cut out the sugar and chips, and even, if you can, do a twenty minute walk each day, it will lower your blood sugars.

Yeast infections ( I forgot to mention them ) are a classic sign of T2 and will, no doubt, be considered by your doc. I, and many others, suffered with them for some years before diagnosis. In my case for some three years and many drugs to cure them on prescription. Luckily my chemist, seeing all these prescribed anti-fungal drugs, did a blood glucose test and bingo! I was diagnosed. Pity my doc. never thought of that!

H

Hendie

"Yeast infections ( I forgot to mention them ) are a classic sign of T2 and will, no doubt, be considered by your doc. I, and many others, suffered with them for some years before diagnosis. In my case for some three years and many drugs to cure them on prescription. Luckily my chemist, seeing all these prescribed anti-fungal drugs, did a blood glucose test and bingo! I was diagnosed. Pity my doc. never thought of that!"

That bit sounds just like myself at the moment, tried so many anti fungals, yeast free diets ect ect and nothing which is another thing which makes me think blood sugar.

How long after lowering your bg before your yeast infections cleared up, and did they just disapear once it was lower or did u take anti funals/pro biotics at the same time ?

Thanks
Steve

annette57

Dislikes
strawberries cold days dark nights rudenness and theives
i am beind discharged as i typpe from my 7th op to incise and drain abcess and have terrible yeast candida. i have been off work 6 month and have constant anti fungals. these are all in my right thigh. would appreciate input re yeasts and control of thanks

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Annette :) I have heard that yeast candida feeds off carbs so if you can reduce them it might help. It will also help your levels.

I asked my husband about this as he suffers with candida too. He said:

First take an anti-mycotic prescribed by the doctor. What you also need to do is to go on a diet for at least 2 months which avoids all fermented foods i.e. cheese, salami, bread, wine, beer etc. And take additional pro-biotics daily. He is also taking Metformin by the way so it's compatible. He also says there is quite a lot of data on the web so google it.

hallii

When i got my BGs under control the yeast infections simply faded away over maybe a month or so.
I only used Daktarin as a cream for a bit and no oral medication.

My big toenail infection did take about 6 months to grow out though.

So once you remove the food for the yeast (sugars) they find life hard and should fade away.
Having said that I know they can be hard to get rid of in some people, the worst one I had was a chest infection, after 3 months of coughing and loads of anti biotics i was prescribed an anti fungal, I was better in a week!

H

Hendie

Thanks for your replies halli you've been very helpful :)

If ineeded my yeast is caused by my blood sugars i hope to have a similar outcome to yourself.

Two last questions then ill leave you be :p

What medication are you on for your diabates ? And now that your yeast has cleared up are you able to eat foods with yeast while still following a low carb diet ?