metformin for type 1

pinkscaffold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liver, opinionated people
I was diagnosed with diabetes 46 years ago when I was 20. I have injected insulin since then. Of course things have changed but I now inject at every meal and long acting once a day. I was at a meeting last night about horses who take metformin for a condition called Equine metabolic syndrome, When I said I was type 1 but also take metformin for maybe the last 16 years I was rounded on and told I was probably not type 1 but type 2. I don't know why this upset me so much but I feel I need to be sure?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was diagnosed with diabetes 46 years ago when I was 20. I have injected insulin since then. Of course things have changed but I now inject at every meal and long acting once a day. I was at a meeting last night about horses who take metformin for a condition called Equine metabolic syndrome, When I said I was type 1 but also take metformin for maybe the last 16 years I was rounded on and told I was probably not type 1 but type 2. I don't know why this upset me so much but I feel I need to be sure?

Just tell them you know you are type 1 for the last 46 years ( wow, well done by the way ) and as they are not doctor's ? they know nothing about your diabetes, so they can shut up ( Sounds like a bunch of old nags, who should be in the knacker's yard :rolleyes:

Reactions: Kim Possible

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just tell them that having type1 does not stop someone also getting type2....

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Pink, it just proves that they do not know what they are on about, my first instinct was to tell you to tell them to get stuffed but I'm guessing you are not the type to do that which is why it upset you. My Consultant told me that there are several reasons why type 1's might be given metformin, those that are insulin resistant for example or share some characteristics of type 2. Don't worry, you are type 1 and your Doctor will no doubt confirm it if you ask. Forget those that are ignorant.