Metformin & glicazide

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
My diabetic nurse upped my dosages to 5 metformin per day & 2 glicazide a day. She said if there wasn’t any significant improvement in the next two weeks that we would need to look at other avenues as they won’t prescribe anymore metformin

What other non insulin options are there? Is there a non insulin injection (I’m sure I read that somewhere)?

Many thanks
Do not worry I'm also diagnosed when my doctor prescribed meformin Gliclzaide and some doctors advised me to take insulin.

After three days, the blood sugar level drops quickly to 130mg/dl. Now I without any drugs from 29.11.17 I'm OK my GB between 94 to 130mg/dl

I quickly discovered that the problem with diet is more important than any medication

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know the puffed wheat contains carbs but it actually doesn’t alter my bs which is why I’ve continued with it (old slimming world habit)

Why does the NHS provide such conflicting advice to diabetics...the DN said I needed to avoid bananas, oranges, grapes & strawberries.

She said apples, pears, muller light yogurts (in moderation), puffed wheat (only 40g), lean meat, vegetables, low sugar beans, low fat margarine, semi skimmed milk (in moderation) no added sugar squash & diet drinks were ok to have
The advice regarding the fruit is spot on for a T2D. We ought to avoid the tropical fruits especially when they are ripe, to reduce the sugar intake. The sugar in fruit is mainly fructose, which our bodies do not convert to glucose, but it gets shunted direct to the liver and converted into fat without passing GO (i.e. the bgl meter. So for a long time fruit was considered heathy for diabetics, but recent studies show it can add to the adipose fat that symbolises Insulin Resistance and Metabolic Syndrome.

Be frugal with the proteins too. since these all get converted to glucose just like carbs, and will push bgl up albeit at a slower rate than carbs. the recommendation is around 100g per kg of lean body mass (not 'weight' as seen on scales since this includes the excess fat). Typically this works out at less than 100g per day for most people.

Reactions: Kimtaylor2016