Metformin Good or bad?

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
I am literally starting my tablets this morning 500mg with breakfast for 1 week then slowly increasing.

I wanted to try and control my BS by diet only ideally.

I have read numerous issues etc regarding this medication so not looking forward to this... I am training really hard at the moment I am running 10km daily in total it's 5km to the gym and 5km back with an hour of weights in the meantime, I have lost 6lbs so far I have cut out my starchy carbs and have changed all my red meat to lean meat only...

I haven't been diagnosed a type yet I have more blood tests on Thursday regarding this so results will follow shortly after that my fingers, legs, arms and eyes are crossed for 2 but we will see...

Does the medication promote weight gain? As I am currently training to lose the extra timber I seem to be carrying around?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No met seems to be more of an appetite suppressant. Weight loss is more about diet then exercise.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I found that Metformin made no difference to my blood sugar at all. With diet and exercise I got results that completely swamped anything I got from the pills.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is an appetite suppressant as mentioned above, so it helps to a very limited extent with weight loss (purely because you eat less). It also helps reduce the amount of glucose the liver produces and helps with insulin resistance, but again, all to a limited extent. It does carry temporary side effects (tummy/bowel issues) but these normally disappear, and there is a slow release version that is kinder to the tummy. Other than that, it is known as a safe drug. If you prefer to try diet and exercise only for a period, have a word with your nurse/GP. Diet is the key to control, with or without Metformin.

Reactions: 4 people

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Thanks for the responses guys, I took my first one this morning, I am seeing the nurse Thursday so I will ask there if it is possible for me to try and control this by diet alone, thanks again for all you time it's much apreciated