Metformin - nausea

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes earlier on this year that has now been suspected as Mody, there still running tests. I was originally put on glycoside but it made my blood sugar drop really quickly and I was still getting readings as high as 19 after just eating 2x weetabix. I was put onto Metformin 500g a few weeks ago which has now been upped to 500g 2 x a day. I just seem to feel constantly sick. I also made the huge mistake of going out for a friends birthday where I thought I was being very sensible making every drink last a long time drinking prosseco must of had about 6 glasses over 7 hours, I have never felt so ill in my life as I did during that night when I got back was very sick and felt terrible for 2 days. What has been everyone else's experience with metformin feeling continually sick and drink?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Ashka9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetes earlier on this year that has now been suspected as Mody, there still running tests. I was originally put on glycoside but it made my blood sugar drop really quickly and I was still getting readings as high as 19 after just eating 2x weetabix. I was put onto Metformin 500g a few weeks ago which has now been upped to 500g 2 x a day. I just seem to feel constantly sick. I also made the huge mistake of going out for a friends birthday where I thought I was being very sensible making every drink last a long time drinking prosseco must of had about 6 glasses over 7 hours, I have never felt so ill in my life as I did during that night when I got back was very sick and felt terrible for 2 days. What has been everyone else's experience with metformin feeling continually sick and drink?

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Metformin causes nausea and suppresses appetite even. I am not aware of it's bad effects when taken with white wine or any alcohol

dog-man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Metformin since 2000 and I can't say that I have noticed any adverse effects when consuming alcohol of any kind.

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was drinking last night and on metformin slow release 2x daily (500mg) with no problems.

C

catherinecherub

The P.I.L. advises against alcohol but several members find that a glass or two does no harm. I suppose we all have different views as regards moderation.
If the tablets are making you feel continually nauseous then see your G.P. and ask for the slow release. Most people find they have less side effects when taken halfway through a meal rather than on an empty stomach.