Metformin questions.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Morning all.

My bloods started at 48 in 2013,year later they were 50. Last blood test was a month ago and they have risen to 64.

Now on slow release Metformin.

Questions.

I am now on an ultra low carb diet.

I read somewhere that Metformin does not make any difference to blood sugar levels, it makes other differences.

Does this mean I can eat more of what I want without it making any difference to my blood sugars?

Will eating an ultra low carb diet reduce my blood levels whilst on Metformin?

I am still finding out about this and thought I would ask here first.

Many Thanks,

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I read somewhere that Metformin does not make any difference to blood sugar levels, it makes other differences.

Does this mean I can eat more of what I want without it making any difference to my blood sugars?

Will eating an ultra low carb diet reduce my blood levels whilst on Metformin?

I am not sure how you made the leap from line one to line two. In my case Metformin made no detectable difference to my blood sugar levels but it did upset my taste buds. The dose was reduced to counter this and I was eventually taken off them due to them being "ineffective".

Again, in my case, I have much better control of my blood sugars by eating the right things. I do not low carb excessively but I have to avoid sugar and flour as much as possible. This improvement began before I was taken off Metformin and continued right up until now. In short I still don't know what good Metformin did for me if anything.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Sorry about the confusion Squire.

My stepdad is Type 2. He eats and drinks whatever he wants and is now on 4 x Metformin a day and Glicazide is it?

He has lost a shedload of weight and is now abnormally thin and desperate to gain weight.

I have been told by my diabetic nurse that I WILL lose weight. This I need to do.

So. If I carry on with Metformin and carry on low carbing (no bread,baked potatoes etc) I will lose weight?

Sorry for all the questions....

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you reduce carbs, and do not excessively replace them with other calories you will lose weight.

Ultimately the only way to lose weight is eat fewer calories than you use.

Meformin is useful as it can supress appetite.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Metformin only ever helps reduce blood sugar a little bit. It does this by reducing the liver's output of glycogen (=glucose). It's most usefull aspect is that it reduces insulin resistance for those who have excess weight/fat. This then enables blood sugar to reduce as the body's insulin can work better. Metformin will not directly help you lose weight but a low-carb diet will, so both together will help a lot with weight loss. With regard to your stepdad you may want to ask him what his last HBa1C was? Anyone who is very slim and has lost weight without trying is a possible Late onset T1 diagnosis and not T2. If so, blood sugar needs to be monitored quite often and meds increased if needed by agreement with nurse. If his blood sugar is too high he should reduce the carbs and make up with proteins and fats to get the calories the body needs.

Reactions: 2 people