Metformin Raising BP

a_tea_drinker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm newly diagnosed type 2 and started metformin this week. I also have high blood pressure but it has been very well controlled for years. At the time of my bloods, 2 weeks back, low potassium was picked up so one of my BP meds was changed. Then my HbA1c came back as 70, I had an appointment with my GP and was prescribed metformin.

Started taking it on Tuesday and felt quite unwell - nauseous, light-headed and freezing cold. As I was wobbly on my feet I checked my BP half expecting a low result but, in fact, it was raised. Usually my BP is around 123/70 at virtually any time of day. On Tuesday it was 145/90 by the end of the day.

I dropped my GP a line Weds morning and got a message back telling me to cut the dose from 500mg morning and evening to just 500mg in the morning. I explained to the receptionist that I had only taken 1 500mg pill when I experienced those side effects but agreed to give it another go.

Last couple of days I have been taking 500mg in the morning and I am generally feeling better, but my BP slowly gets higher as the day goes on. I take my BP pills late at night and it drops back down to normal, then by morning it is back at 135/40 and last night it was 152/92.

If this continues over the weekend I will drop my GP another line, I think. But I am wondering if anyone has experienced a higher BP on starting metformin, and if so did it resolve?