Metformin Regular

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have read news on Metformin SR being recalled in USA.
Is regular Metformin safe? Any news on that? I am on 3 x 500 mg. Tried to limit to 2 x 500 mg but 2hours after meals BG shot up with similar food in the same quantity... so am back on my 3 x 500 mg regimen:angelic:

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Apotex Inc. is recalling eight lots of its 500 mg extended release metformin tablets (“APO-Metformin ER”) because they contain a nitrosamine impurity called N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) above the acceptable limit.

So not all metformin and just certain batches of the SR made by Apotex in the states.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I did post the following in the other thread on this subject and the official line is carry on taking your metformin as the risk is extremely low that it will be in any way harmful.

"The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) is aware that outside the UK very low amounts of an impurity, N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), have been found in some metformin diabetes medicines.
Patients in the UK are advised to continue taking their metformin medicines as usual. The risks from not having adequate diabetes treatment far outweigh any possible effects of the low levels of NDMA seen in metformin medicines outside the UK.
As these metformin medicines are also available in Europe and outside the EU, the MHRA is working closely with the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and other regulatory authorities to determine whether any further action is required and will continue to keep patients updated as more information becomes available.
The levels of NDMA seen in the affected non-UK metformin medicines are very low and appear to be within or even below the range that people would normally be exposed from other sources, including food and water. For more information, read the EMA’s update on detection of impurities in metformin diabetes medicines and the ongoing investigation by EU regulators here. If patients have any questions, they should speak to their healthcare professional."

You of course like always have the final say in what medications you take and can discontinue metformin if you wish I am carrying on taking mine though I do take the bulk standard form of metformin not the slow release.