metformin side effect

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
Was on metformin then diabetes control was excellent probably due to some drastic lifestyle changes and was then back to diet and exercise control. Then I fell off the wagon started eating rubbish again, probably stress related eating, and a year later i was put back on metformin - then the problems began... I became very bloated and was concerned about my stomach so went to the docs (about two weeks after I started metformin for the second time), saw a doc who I never saw before he sent me for a sigmoidoscopy. It never occured to me that it could be the metformin because I tolerated it so well the first time. anyway after having the old camera shoved up the rear and getting the all clear went back to the docs and this time saw a very good GP who is now the diabetic GP and she pinpointed it straight away and put me on the slow release metformin.
Whilst this has helped I still suffer with bloating, but not as bad, and I work really hard in trying to reduce this naturally by trying to increase my dietary fibre. Is there anything else I could do? I have wondered about gastroparesis...
I'm now taking 2 x 1000mg metformin a day and 100mg sitagliptin. Last HbA1C was 44 in new money (can't remember the units mol/mmol?)

Thanks.
Hi Gary. I found I did better when I took mine (still do actually) in the middle of a meal. I always take mine with food, in the AM when I'm frequenlty not hungry I take it with about 2 oz of cheese and small glass of milk. It took about three weeks or so for the stomach affects to dissipate. If it takes longer for you, perhaps a change is needed?

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
The Doctor stopped me taking metformin last eve due to low iron levels ....has anyone else found this happening to them?

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I had side effects the first two weeks of taking it and it was those exact symptoms. It's odd that you wouldn't have them in the beginning. Since Metformin affects blood sugar, I would think what you eat could have an impact. If they continue or get worse, I would contact the prescribing doctor.

merrym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
most shellfish
The Doctor stopped me taking metformin last eve due to low iron levels ....has anyone else found this happening to them?
No but we do keep an eye on my B12. Metformin takes some time to build in our systems, or so I read. I can see this happening. I hope you are ok, take care of you.