Metformin side effects

barlaysugar

Was on 500mg metformin bd, latest hba1c came back at 7.4, so the doctor has increased my metformin to 1000mg bd. Am getting quite bad side effects, ie. the loo is my new best friend. Also, cholesterol came back at 6.7. Anyone know a low carb, low fat diet or cookbook?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Barlaysugar,
As far as the low-carb cookbooks are concerned, the bookshops are full of them - depends just how low you want to go. If you only want a small reduction in your carb intake then you can achieve that easily by just halving your intake of the starchy carbs, cereals, bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. Compensate with extra meat or vegetables.

You experience of the metformin side effects is unfortunately quite common. It should ease after a few days as your system gets used to the higher dose, but if it doesn't then ask your GP to switch you to Glucophage SR. This is a slow-release form of metformin and is a lot kinder on the stomach.

DiabeticGeek

There are loads of low carb recipe books (Amazon is your friend), not to mention web sites (so is Google!). However, if you don't already have it, I reckon the best low carb book you can get is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. This isn't a recipe book (although it does contain a few quite good ones), but his approach to diabetes management works. If you follow it then it might well be possible for you to be able to cut down on the medications, some people even manage to get off them altogether. This won't happen overnight - but it has to be worth a try.

Katharine

If your love affair with your toilet doesn't end soon it could be worth asking to try the long acting version of metformin. This costs more so it's not given out first line.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
love - I can totally relate to the toilet thing ... seriously ... almost gave up going out - but 4 year olds don't let up hahaha ...

I started (and was diagnosed) on Friday on the same dose & meds as you - still "going" ... or "running" hehehehe - pick a descriptive!

let me know how it goes eh ...

Jem xxx

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
PS - to add - after 6 days "normal service has resumed"

it's entirely possible that is of absolutely no interest whatsoever to anyone other than myself and my toilet-tissue-dealer ... but - even on pretty high dose, I guess you can get "used to" it - although a week was going to be my limit.

J