Metformin & statins may help mental illness

M

Member496333

Yes indeed. My husband is one of them.

As international superhero Tom Naughton frames it - the information gatekeepers are being swept aside. The anointed are no longer in control. This is why we are seeing the populace waking up, realising they’re being mugged off for profit.

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As international superhero Tom Naughton frames it - the information gatekeepers are being swept aside. The anointed are no longer in control. This is why we are seeing the populace waking up, realising they’re being mugged off for profit.

The Wisdom of Crowds an' all that.

Dark Horse

From personal experience; I have rescheduled hosp appointments through illness and/or depression and I have rescheduled because I have felt comparatively well. This may sound odd but if 'well' days are far and few between then sometimes one doesn't want to spend a whole morning in a stuffy waiting room having to go through everything all over again only to be told to come back in six months by someone you have never seen before. Counting missed appts seems a weak parameter to me as do hospital admissions in some cases.
The study abstract says that they were measuring 'Psychiatric hospitalizations and self-harm admissions' rather than missed or rescheduled appointments.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2719703

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm not one to understand mental health very well but a family friend recently had electric treatment to stem his depression. I believe it can kill cells which aren't wanted which have become out of control.

Myself I thought the brain didn't grow any more after it's 21st year. For males and females. Males do have a larger brain, fact.
For metformin etc to prove a help with mental illness; first we'd need to understand mental illness.... surely?

Dark Horse

Yes I honestly do but not for the reason you state.
Pharma companies are there to make profit. The way they make profit is by selling more product (not products note as there are surprisingly few really new drugs coming onto the market because of the cost of R&D).
They will manipulate any data that shows the slightest of positive effects for any treatment in order to get more people taking their product (the relative risk against absolute risk type of figures we see often applied to statins). They will then spend a small fortune in marketing said product to achieve the highest sales figures possible.
Pharma companies are not in business for the health of the nation they are in business to make money for their shareholders.
The fact that people are becoming more aware of their own health and alternative means of taking charge is a huge threat to profits for them. Expect a whole lot more of this and more and more dubious science and statistics to show miniscule (if any ) benefits to various drugs as well as personal attacks on the advocates of "alternative' non drug medicine.
The research under discussion was not carried out by, or funded by, the pharmaceutical industry. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamapsychiatry/fullarticle/2719703

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Dark Horse

"Conflict of Interest Disclosures: Dr Wong reported receiving research funding from Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pfizer, and Janssen Pharmaceutica outside the submitted work. No other disclosures were reported."
Correct. It was that information that tells us that this particular research was not funded by the pharmaceutical industry.

M

Member496333

It doesn’t tell me any such thing at all, but we are all free to interpret as we wish :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Correct. It was that information that tells us that this particular research was not funded by the pharmaceutical industry.
You mean that no-one wrote a cheque for this specific piece of research .. is indeed correct... however that does not mean the the authors are in a financial position to be completely unbiased now does it?

My criticism was also not on this specific piece of research but a more general point that the re-classification of drugs in either very mildly altered forms or for slightly different purposes is a game that the pharmaceutical industry has been playing for a while. That's why they are so profitable..

Reactions: Member496333
M

Member496333

Money, power, realtionships, influence, subterfuge, bamboozling.

All the above make the world go round. When it comes to your own health and wellbeing, trust nothing and no one by default.

Ponchu

It is not just those with Diabetes who are refusing statin treatment.

After pressure, I filled a 3 month supply.

I won’t take them.

Nov: high cholesterol. I told the doc that I’ve read quite a bit about rapid weight loss & increased cholesterol.

He said “ok.”

2 months later, admin was reviewing his records. They challenged him on why he did not follow protocol.

Hence the pressure.

I picked up the script Friday. Saturday of this weekend I took advantage of free cholesterol screening

129 point drop since Nov 2.

The office will credit the statins I did not take.

Charis1213

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you , my cholesterol is 7.3 and i have been offered statins 3 times, i tell them NO . They never pressure me , I don't know what mine will be this month as I've been doing lchf and sometimes cholesterol can get higher which i don't want it to, but I won't take statins NEVER , I saw the effects they had on my dad . I still can't get over his death breaks my heart and its two years in April that he passed . Won't go into what i saw because of the effects of statins but lets just say I'm scarred for life by what they did to him .