Metformin, stomach upset, eggs?

Hurrah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had this morning quite an upset stomach and have been on metformin now for three weeks, increasing my dose over that time period. I haven't had much stomach issues - just twice - and I'm wondering if anyone else has found that certain foods don't agree with them when they are on metformin? I've been wondering this as both times I think I had eaten an omelette or eggs of some description. I read on line of one person who had a similar reaction but they said they thought it was egg yolks and that egg whites didn't give them this issue.

Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be - I find if I have fried mushrooms at the same time as I take my met it can make me need the loo right after - not really a problem as its usually in the morning and I only go once - and I love my fried mushrooms way too much to let them go.

It may well be the egg yolks as they contain sulphur - they play havoc with my non diabetic hubby's "system" - not the runs but definitely "fragrance" wise :yuck::yuck::dead:

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Metformin used to give me that rotten egg breath/taste feeling. I no longer take it but it is notorious for GI side effects :)

cyrryan

I am type 1, and have been on 500mg of metformin for several years. My doctor recently increased it to 2000mg a day which made me very sick. My hospital thinks it is a wonder drug and are not great at me reducing it. I had to go to GP to get it reduced to 850. I was still feeling ill. The hospital not say that I should go back to 500 twice daily. They are against coming off it altogether. I don't know what to do.

6cats

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It has taken me 5 months on met 1500 and 40 Gliclazide to feel a marked improvement in the tummy issue area. I kept a good diary and wrote in general info but never found a link with a particular food. It is renowned for tummy issues I think it's perseverance but it's a rough ride. Keep going just be prepared to run!?!?!?

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
One egg not too bad - hard boiled easiest but 2 eggs can upset my system all day. I do not tolerate it well. I think it is best to take it after the meal. I cannot cope with 1000 slow release I find I feel queasy before my next meal. I don't think it sits well with a low carb diet. Feel I do better if I add some carbs but this is counter productive!