Metformin Stop Effect

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I took Metformin 2x day for two and a half years stopped suddenly last November as had made such radical changes in my diet including 23/1 fasting for a month that my blood glucose dropped dramatically and the Metformin started to have severe side effects on my digestion so just stopped it altogether.
I expected it would impact me after so long but in fact I didn’t notice a difference apart from possibly the rate of drop slowed a bit but still a downward trend. Not taken Metformin since that date my average bloods are now in the mid 4s and am normal weight. So controlled by diet now.
Good thing about Metformin too is that it dosent appear to be addictive I felt no withdrawal and had no effects apart from my digestion being loads better in a matter of days!
For 2 day after i stop met my fasting Bg still around 4, i hope can control it with diet only like you. Thanks

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There isn't going to be a hard and fast rule, we're all very different and will have different experiences.

When I stopped there was an increase in BG after several days possibly weeks. Same thing when I restarted, it took some weeks for a change to be recognised.
Agree, so i think i must keep eye on my fasting BG

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin is a stabiliser.
It tries to keep things lower but not too low. Ive never had a hypo on the metformin only treatment. Ever.
Some have thou..

It regulates liver glucose output. A little.
I stop metformin because my fasting BG just around 4 and after 2 hour meal just 88, i worry with hypo

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was thinking about starting Met for a while. I have read quite a lot about it improving many things but for me most importantly is it improves the morning liver dump if you have such a thing. And this I need to do as mine is marching ever upwards regardless of carbs (sub 20 nearly every day). I noticed many members but not all - who took it for a while - have a much improved BG. Most put it down to the diet alone but I just wonder if signalling effect they have and the reduced IR as a result is a long term and underestimated effect?

Anyway - spoke to Dr today who is a lovely guy and supportive, wants to do a BG test first but is worried that it would give me hypos. I love the guy but has anyone heard of met giving anyone a hypo? I thought that chemically impossible.
My liver dumps, are scary since I made the mistake of fasting. In the last 10 days , Ive had the flu, and eaten hardly any food or carbs. Yet in the mid 6s. I am at my wits end. Any form of exercise floods my system with glucose. I love working out. When, I shift this flu, that has me laid low for now, I'll try snacking on a small fatty piece of cheese, or nuts every 4hrs. If that doesn't work, I have to ask for Metformin. I wish I had never fasted. I used to be mid 4s. Now mid 6s. Scary .

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My liver dumps, are scary since I made the mistake of fasting. In the last 10 days , Ive had the flu, and eaten hardly any food or carbs. Yet in the mid 6s. I am at my wits end. Any form of exercise floods my system with glucose. I love working out. When, I shift this flu, that has me laid low for now, I'll try snacking on a small fatty piece of cheese, or nuts every 4hrs. If that doesn't work, I have to ask for Metformin. I wish I had never fasted. I used to be mid 4s. Now mid 6s. Scary .

Sounds familiar to my own experience.
I did the ND for 8 weeks and at the end of that my BGs were low and my overall BGs in the afternoon and evenings are low. But the morning peek is going up.

I to find exercise a disaster. Walking - really good - but any form of cycle or lifting or aerobic now and I am off on a high.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well today I have taken no medications whatsoever I will check to see tomorrow if there is any difference and report back if I'm still alive that is.

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sounds familiar to my own experience.
I did the ND for 8 weeks and at the end of that my BGs were low and my overall BGs in the afternoon and evenings are low. But the morning peek is going up.

I to find exercise a disaster. Walking - really good - but any form of cycle or lifting or aerobic now and I am off on a high.
Frustrating isn't it? What works for most, has the exact opposite effect on some of us. Any type of exertion raises my BG. :meh:

TTTE

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes (but I may learn to love it)
I've just completed my first 28 day course of Metformin since diagnosis and have just started to do a daily blood test when I get up. I am only doing the test once a day to try and get an over view of my readings. Once I have completed this second course of tablets along with daily testing I should have half an idea as to how I'm reacting to it

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey All, I went off Metformin 2000gm/day for December/January....Have been on it for 17 years. Got terrible liver dumps, but wasn't on super low carb as was on holidays in January - around 50-70/day.....Got back home and decided to go back on it after researching its benefits. Also added Chromium and Alpha-lipoiec to the mix....For the last two weeks have been having wonderful FBS in a.m., like 5.5 and rarely go over 7 unless I don't eat bfast - if I don't I get a liver dump but not as excessive as before. (In Canada so #s are mmol/mg?) Anyway, it is pretty easy to slide a couple of tabs down the gullet and with numbers like this now, I think it is worth it. Have been back on 20-30 carbs/day and feeling well. Have read Mosley's book and this week am starting 5 days @800 cals and 2 days LCMF to see if I can get off this weight loss plateau....will see how it goes! Cheers/L

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well today I have taken no medications whatsoever I will check to see tomorrow if there is any difference and report back if I'm still alive that is.
Well I did survive the night my bloods were not affected over much I am leaving off the metformin for a while but did chicken out and took my preds and such the next day after all I am not suicidal as yet just hacked off with having to take a fistful of tablets every day.

gusbudone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All, today I have 5 days stop using metformin, there is a slight increase in day 3 to this day, but still in non diabetic range. today is my FBG 5.1

Reactions: Peadair O Brionn