Metformin - Stopped Working ?

ruts66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guys,

Newbie to the forum but have used the website as a valuable resource since first diagnosed T2 in April 2014.

June 2014, GP prescribed Metformin 2 x 500mg/day after I failed to significantly reduce my BG levels through diet and exercise alone. Normal BG levels restored and no major side effects. Quarterly A1c tests satisfactory, until now...

5 weeks ago at my latest review my A1c result prompted a doubling of Metformin to 4 x 500mg/day. I'm currently experiencing symptoms familiar to pre-diagnosis (forgetful, lethargic, falling asleep after meals, burning/itching feet, etc...). I have an Accu-Chek Mobile testing device which last night recorded a reading of 11.5mmol/L 90 minutes after dinner and this morning a reading of 8.0mmol/L pre-breakfast. Both are about 3 points higher than when I last felt okay.

- Typically, is there a point where Metformin loses its efficacy in T2 despite a higher dosage ?

- What new meds might I expect my GP to recommend at my next appointment ?

- What 'hero' foods might I try to improve my mood (depression) in the absence of complex carbs ?

Thank you in advance,

ruts

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Metformin would not work if you were not producing insulin or would work less well if you had a reduced insulin production. Your GP can prescribe various medications such as liraglutide, exenatide and dapagliflosin.

Hope all goes well for you.

Regards

Doug

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
- What 'hero' foods might I try to improve my mood (depression) in the absence of complex carbs ?

Could you tell us what you are eating in a typical day ...

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I gave up sugary foods at diagnosis so have not had puds, sweets or any food with glucose, sucrose, fructose etc. since then. I tend to eat bread, pasta, rice and below the ground veg only very occasionally. I enjoy meats, fish, eggs, salad and above the ground veg. I have some days when I replace 2 meals with Tesco meal replacement drinks. That, along with 500mg Metformin 3 times a day does it for me. The drinks help me as I also have Parkinson's Disease and slow motility.

Regards

Doug