Metformin + Trajenta causing allergic reaction

Aggie

Has anyone else encountered that a combination of Metformin and Trajenta can cause an allergic reaction in the form of a rash that itches and turns into small puss filled sores?

I had no problems after being on Metformin for a month, but 3 days after I started taking Trajenta I got a rash on my tigh, and a month later it has spread to my entire body. My doctor gave me Aerius against the rash, but it seems to have no effect at all, if anything it is getting worse.

Would highly apreciate if anyone has any tips to give.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Aggie,

Welcome to the forum.

Are you based in the UK? The reason I ask is because I have not heard of anyone being prescribed Trajenta, (Linagliptin) on the forum.

It is a DPP-4 Inhibitor and the only one I have heard people talk about here is Januvia, (Sitagliptin).

I am bumping your post up to see if someone can answer this, nothing worse than your first post being ignored. :thumbdown:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Aggie :)
Welcome to the forum.
I would answer your question if I could but I don't know anything about Trajenta personally, I'm afraid. I hope someone will have heard of it and will be able to answer you soon. Trajenta has been approved for use across Europe so I hope someone will be able to help you.

Here is a link which you might find helpful:

http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_detai ... 5994&rot=4

Aggie

Thank you for the link Daisy.

I am currently based in Norway Catherine, so yes, medication may be a bit different here than back in the UK. I thought I'd still ask on this forum as it is the best I have found so far.

I have had to take myself off all the medications this last week as the rash steadily grew worse. Now, after a few days, it seems to be subsiding and I am managing to curb my bloodsugar fairly well by being extremely strict with my no carb diet. I will have to have a seious talk with my doctor the next time I have an apointment as I cannot continue being a guineapig.

As far as I have gathered from some research I have done, Trajenta functions as a small booster for Metformin, and could thus cause Metformin to trigger an allergic reaction. Anyone else have any thought on this?

Aggie

Had my doctors apointment this morning. My bloodsugar looked better than ever, even the long time one, so I must be doing something right, even with no medication. Thankfully I didn't get too much flak for taking myself off of the pills entirely. Good thing my doctor allows me to think for myself when things get too out of hand.

Got told that I shouldn't bee too strict on my no-carb-diet, and that it would be difficult to keep it up in the long run. But I figure if I stick to it I might not have to eat all these pills. Besides, I have managed to eat like this all spring and summer, so why wouldn't I manage doing this onwards?

Will be trying to go back on the Metformin, but not the Trajenta pills. Crossing my fingers that it will work out fine as I wouldn't want to look like i have chickenpox whilst on holiday.

noraor

Has anyone else encountered that a combination of Metformin and Trajenta can cause an allergic reaction in the form of a rash that itches and turns into small puss filled sores?

I had no problems after being on Metformin for a month, but 3 days after I started taking Trajenta I got a rash on my tigh, and a month later it has spread to my entire body. My doctor gave me Aerius against the rash, but it seems to have no effect at all, if anything it is getting worse.

Would highly apreciate if anyone has any tips to give.

I have been prescribed Linigliptin instead of insulin also have been on Metaformin long term, so far no problems

Jaffa

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found the answer to my metformin problem by reading these forums so hope someone can help me with my next problem. I was putting up with loose bowels for some time before I read about the slow release metformin. That seemed to sort that issue but as I am on 2000mg I can't take more and my blood sugar was not coming down. Tried Forixga but after constant visits to the loo leading to becoming very sore I came off them (much to the dipleasure of my DN who had thought it was the wonder drug and no one else seemed to have that problem). The diabetic nurse then suggested Linagliptin but this is having no effect upon my blood sugar, which I have only just started testing (my surgery didn't like giving out monitors). Anyone had a similar experience or know better alternatives - I really don't want just another tablet which the DN thought was likely?

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Stop taking the medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of the following occur:

• signs of a severe skin reaction such as blistering, peeling, a rash covering a large area of the body, a rash that spreads quickly, or a rash combined with fever or discomfort
  • symptoms of a serious allergic reaction (such as swelling of the face, lips, tongue, or throat; skin rash; hives; or difficulty breathing)
  • symptoms of pancreatitis (e.g., prolonged, severe abdominal pain with or without vomiting)