Metformin withdrawal symptoms

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
After being on only one 500 mg per day the nurse, having seen my hba1c results has agreed I should stop. My hbA1c has been a constant 5.7 for a year.

Stopped taking it 3 days ago and the symptoms are similar to when you start them.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I recenly stopped immediately from 2g per day to zero, and had no discernable withdrawal. I restarted Metformin later last year, and had one episode of gastric distress. I recently dropped down to 1g per day and only noticed a 1 mmol/l rise in average bgl

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After being on only one 500 mg per day the nurse, having seen my hba1c results has agreed I should stop. My hbA1c has been a constant 5.7 for a year.

Stopped taking it 3 days ago and the symptoms are similar to when you start them.

I was completely the opposite.. stopped the meds and turned off the tap almost immediately.. have you changed what you eat at all?
Could be you just have an upset tum?

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi @Barrowbakers
I had a similar experience a few years ago when I reduced metformin (standard version) from 2 to 1 500mg tablet per day.
A very flatulent week or so followed! It then settled down & have had no side effects since.
Hopefully you will be free of the gastric woes in a few days.

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Barrowbakers
I had a similar experience a few years ago when I reduced metformin (standard version) from 2 to 1 500mg tablet per day.
A very flatulent week or so followed! It then settled down & have had no side effects since.
Hopefully you will be free of the gastric woes in a few days.

Thanks Pete

D

Deleted member 308541

I had no problems when I stopped taking metformin after 2½ years of taking them.

TwoTone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2D
Hi Borrowbakers,
I recently went from 1500mg to 1000mg of metformin. I've been on it for 15 years. For about 3/4 weeks I had variable BGs first thing in morning but has settled now. It may be due to dawn effect management which metformin helps with. Also had some minor GI issues.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I was taken off them by my nurse and never had any problem with it

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never had any problem stopping after about 3 years, but I didn't really ever have any gastric issues when taking either the standard or SR versions anyway.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Barrowbalers have you maybe tweaked your way of eating a bit, even subliminally, when you stopped the Metformin? I'm wondering if you maybe upped the fat a bit.

I've never taken Metformin (or any other meds for diabetes), but I do seem to have a personal fat (consumption) threshold and I breach that, my range (from a small room), becomes somewhat limited. If you look up Steatorrhea, you'll see what I am referring to, for myself.