Metformin

alison.81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does anyone else have any problems with Metformin slow release? I have been on it for 3 weeks twice a day and I thought it was great and working for me but after starting the second tablet the second day I started with the stomach ache and the 'needing to go' feelings again.

Back to docs again I think. What else could they give me?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, my doctor just put me from 500 mg twice a day up to 3 tablets a day. The tummy upset when I first started with twice a day went away after a couple days and I was fine. When I went to add the third tablet in he told me one at breakfast, 2 at dinner. The reaction to taking 2 tablets at the same time was epic to say the least. I spent 2 1/2 days in the bathroom including all night. I have split them up and now take them three times a day with 6 hours between them and food with them and I am fine now. It might be you need to give it a few days. I have heard that every time you up the dose you have to go through that particular side effect again. Good luck

Matt_Vincent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started on standard metformin which I found intolerable so was put onto slow release (Sukkarto) which I found somewhat better at first (one 1000mg tab per day). Over a period of several months the wind and bloating has come back with several urgent trips to the loo per day so I think you are not unusual in not being very tolerant to metformin.

alison.81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your replies.

Another thing how do you take the slow release one. I was told by my doctor to take one a day for the first 10 days then if tolerated take one in a morning and one after dinner because I told him I didn't want to take tablets at work as I would just forget them. I thought great then I got the box from the pharmacy and it said take 2 at night after dinner.

Confused.com

Thanks