Metformin

Jackie006

Hi hoping for advice please usually I take 2 met forming a day but now they have said 4 a day my dn has said it may cause stomach problems so am scared to increase it is anyone else on 4 a day and if so do u get side effects

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been OK with the 2 tablets a day, then increasing the dose may not cause any issues.

However I would still take it slowly, and don't introduce both the additional tablets immediately.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I increased from 2 tablets a day to 3 I had a couple of intense days in the bathroom and then I was fine. I would suggest increasing it when you can be home for a couple days. I would also suggest going from 2 a day to 3 a day for a week and spreading them out breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Then you can go up to all four. You may not get any gastro effects at all, lots of people don't. If you did not have any trouble when you first started it you will probably be just fine. I am not a doctor, this is just my personal experience.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I had a bit of upset stomach, no vomitting, then a couple days of constipation of all things. Everything settled down quickly and no problems after that. when doc increased to 3 per day he told me to take 1 with breakfast and 2 with dinner. I had 2 days and nights of constant explosive diarrhea. When I spread the pills out to taking them 3 times a day it stopped. Now I can take 2 with dinner with no ill effects.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi hoping for advice please usually I take 2 met forming a day but now they have said 4 a day my dn has said it may cause stomach problems so am scared to increase it is anyone else on 4 a day and if so do u get side effects
When my husband was prescribed the standard Metformin he was told to gradually increase the dosage from 1 to 4 tablets a day over six weeks he was fine and never had any stomach problems at all.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the occasional ' Comfined to Barracks' days, but only once in a while is it a problem. I take 2 in morning, then 2 in evng both just before eating. Seems ok. Did try the XR version, but the bgl went up so I went back onto SR.

Jankiff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Brexit, stupid TV ads. Bogus accident claims companies who cold call on the ‘phone,
I am on 4 a day, but I am on the slow/modified release type - before, I had serious discomfort but I responded well to these which is just as well, as I also have to take Sitagliptin and Dapagliflozin for the diabetes, 75 mg levothyroxine for under active thyroid 50 mg Azathioprine and 3 mg prednisolone (reducing) for Pemphigoid and omeprazole to prevent stomach problems from the prednisolone plus once a week Alendronic acid to prevent osteoporosis from prednisolone. I got polymyalgia (pmr) about 3 years ago, and was put on a high dose of prednisolone which played havoc with previously good control. They reduced me rapidly because of the diabetes and that seemed to trigger the Pemphigoid so I had to go back to a high dose plus the Azathioprine. I had never heard of PMR or Pemphigoid before I got them. Oh, and a statin. Pick me up, and I rattle, folks.

Jankiff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Brexit, stupid TV ads. Bogus accident claims companies who cold call on the ‘phone,
I forgot to mention, with much hard work and self restraint, my control is gradually being restored and nurse was very pleased at my last review.